Friday 14 June 2013

End Of a Year / Fires

The End Of a Year (Self Defense Family) / Fires split is super cool. It has everything that appeals to the average record nerd (obi strips/different covers, you'll see in a bit). It was also the first record which I acquired a test press of, so it seems like a good place to start.

Long story short; I made little effort to get these variants. With great help from (and thanks to!) Patrick Compston who put it out, and Doug from Fires; I scored all four variants of this record. Great guys. Enough of my rambling, on to the records:

 
This is the most common variant of clear blue /400. Nothing much going on here.
 
 
This is where things get a little cooler. Clear /100, these two colours make up the first and only press of this record thus far. This variant came with a hand numbered obi strip...

 

 I ended up with number 19/100. Nice touch.
 
This is where things got difficult (ish). I heard there was a super limited record release version from Fires. Thankfully, Doug was happy to sell me his copy from the show.
 
 
The first thing I noticed is the sleeve. The text is placed on there for the record release apparently, as opposed to the text free sleeves used on the regular press, which is something different. The sleeve is folded over the top as opposed to the side folds.
 

 
For the record release some inserts were printed up too. I ended up with number 16 of 18. Not bad for a guy who doesn't live in the US/ anywhere near release show ever. I'm a sucker for release show/ tour exclusive stuff too so this really appealed to me.
 
 
Finally, the test press. The first test press I ever owned. I managed to get this from Troubled Monkey Records owner and the guy who put this out, Patrick Compston (super nice guy too). I ended up with number 6 of 13. The sleeve again has a different text, printed up exclusively for the test presses; with handmade obi strips that correlate with the numbers of the test too. Which was nice as all the tests I've had since come in regular sleeves/ no sleeves/ one in a carrier bag (?). Tons of effort made here. I'm a big fan.
 
 
All four copies together.
 

 
A closer look at the two font variations. The top sleeve (record release) is also much brighter in image in person.
Now i'm going to drag out more records to do this with. I really have to find other hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment