Thursday 24 July 2014

Boston // Orlando

I never realised how much people dug this record until recently, with a heartbreaking £80+ eBay price tag (from a recent auction), it seems this item is in some quite hefty demand. Funny really, as it's a lathe cut, so the sound quality isn't up there with it's wax brother, and more importantly, it's two songs. Two great songs to be fair, but still only two songs, about 7 minutes of music. Private deals are rumoured to consistently hit the £35-50 mark too. Mental. Saying that, the band in question are brilliant, and this thing was quite limited and a fun little release too. 


Here it is. Boston // Orlando by Moose Blood. It's an 8'' square lathe cut, single sided with two tracks (Boston and Orlando). Fist in the Air (FITA) put this out as a limited one time press. FITA are a cool UK label who have released three Moose Blood records, and a bunch of other great stuff. 


It's impossible to take a good photo of this thing. But it does look really nice as a package, and I've always enjoyed the occasional shaped record in my collection. 


The front cover is fantastic, the imagery suits the songs perfectly. A small run of shirts with this art were made up as a package deal with the release of this, but knowing (roughly) the availability of the release at the time, I just wanted to grab the record and check out as quick as possible. 


Here is the back cover. The lathe comes in a poly sleeve with a double sided single sheet insert that acts as the cover art too. Also here you get the numbering scheme. I ended up with 47/50. I'm not sure if this means I got in early and they counted down or whether I nearly missed out. The numbers could be completely random I guess? I'm also pretty sure that 52 was the official number when all was said and done, and they got numbered 51/50 and 52/50 accordingly. But that's anyone's guess as to where they ended up. I was told they were already spoken for when pre-orders went up! If you have sharp eyes you'll also see the tag line EMO IS A GANG. Erm. 


Obligatory stickers and stuff. I like the sticker with the art on, of course it's still in the sleeve, never to be used. I also still have the download card (it hasn't been used either). If I feel the need to hear the songs, stick 'em on right? The last sticker on the bottom right also contains some info on the back about the lathe cut... 


There you go! 

A quick word about this release. This package looks like it took an awful lot of time and effort. A few people moaned about the limited availability of the record; but appreciate these things were individually made, the art individually cut to size etc. a lot of hard work went into this release, and it's really appreciated (speaking personally). This went up for pre-order on a Sunday if I remember correctly, at somewhere between 6-8pm (can't remember the specific time). It went super fast, definitely under a minute, it was one of those definite scrapes of luck (and being armed with a laptop and two iPhone's helped). Before anyone asks, I was only using all of those to guarantee ONE copy, I only have ONE copy. The only time I remember a pre-order that tense was the Valentines day edition of Is Survived By by Touche Amore, but that's a story for another day. I believe this was £7.99 on release day, and it was definitely worth that, maybe even a little more. But £80, I envy a guy that can have that throw that down on what is effectively a single. Saying that, I feel your pain, we've probably all paid through the teeth for a record that was originally worth about £3. The struggle is real folks. 

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment