Sunday 20 July 2014

From Canada with Cursed

This is my first cassette entry, to my knowledge. Thankfully it's a really cool one, and one that i'm really grateful to have in my collection. The cassette press of the Cursed demo.


This really is the only way to have the demo. There was a CD press of this way back in the day, but the amount released is a mystery. Some say 13 copies exist, some say 66; I'm on good authority it's 13. No more than that though. So when I saw this I was excited. Until I saw it was sold out. In fact, there had even been a second press that I'd managed to sleep through. 


Not to worry though, as the good dude that runs Night Trap Recordings (who released this) answered a prayer (or email) and we got to talking about all things Cursed. Turns out he's a super nice guy, and just about the biggest Cursed/ Chris Colohan fan you could run in to. His collection literally puts any collection of any band ever to shame. It's impressive to say the least. A few emails and a Paypal payment later and this was on it's way to me. No fuss, a perfect transaction. I was given the choice of a 1st or 2nd press of this tape. I went for the first press as the black/ white split shell appealed to me (if you have sharp eyes you'll notice). 



As far as design etc. goes, I think the cover is a still image or promotional shot from the film 'The Devil Rides Out'. I think the Cursed 'Baphomet' logo may be from the same film? Christopher Lee was in the movie, I'm sure I watched it with my Dad as a child. Anyway; the stark black and white imagery against the black and white shell of the tape works really well, and considering this thing was released long after the demise of Cursed, it really fits in with what they were all about. I really appreciate the fact that someone took the time out of their life to give this the effort and attention it deserves. Standard jewel case, nothing sloppy but nothing fancy either, just as a demo should be. And that font, how could you not love that font?

As for the tracks, they're incredible. This version of Polygraph is punishing, and so abrasive. I love it. Three tracks that play on each side of the tape and every time I play it, it gets flipped straight back in the cassette deck to be heard again. 

Long live Cursed.



No comments:

Post a Comment