Tuesday 27 October 2015

CSD Ballads

Cassette Store Day came and went, and as it does it went without much of a fuss. However, I was tempted by a couple things, and my band managed to sneak a song onto the Zyng Records comp for the day. I won't talk about the comp here, as that seems a little weird. One item I had to order from the US and hopefully I'll be writing about it soon. The only other item I was into arrived a couple days ago so I'll wax about that. 


Self Defense Family - German Industrial Ballads - Bad Paintings Records - 1st Press - White /? (Cassette Store Day '15 Exclusive) 

Another day; another SDF release. This one's a little bittersweet however. It's cool because it contains a new track. However, you have to wade through a bunch of tracks you already own to get to it. In itself it's not a bad idea, as that's what a best of is all about right? Also, there's a zine where the band explain why they picked these tracks for the comp. included with the cassette and that's a truly cool extra. The songs are great, but I'm so used to hearing those songs in a certain order that to fuck with that fucks with me a little! 


B-Side // Inlay 

The art wraps around the entire outside of the J-Card with the inside left blank. The art is cool though, and reminds me a little of their live cassette that you can read about here: 
http://23rotations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/self-defense-familive.html

Printed up shells are cool too, I like the simple print in contrast to how busy the cover art is. 


For me, the main selling point was this neat little zine. 


Although the text is pretty tiny, I much prefer it to cramming it all onto a J-Card. This allows a lot more space, some room for a photograph or two. Some of the explanations of songs are typically SDF, and some are truly insightful and makes it seem a personal release. A decent amount of effort into what could've been a boring addition. 


The obvious addition from Patrick Kindlon. 

It's cool right? 
I'm still behind on the SDF game. Most of what I need is easily available, but I just haven't got around to it. However, the EOAY gems are probably staying on my want list for a long time yet. 

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment