Monday 9 March 2015

Getting Letting

It still surprises me how much certain records sell for on Discogs or eBay, and so I get very enthusiastic when I manage to snag a cool and kind of rare record at a good price. I have bought a lot of cool stuff recently, and this is definitely a great place to start. The packaging itself isn't much to look at; but with a record this great it doesn't matter all that much. 


Circa Survive - On Letting Go - Equal Vision Records - 1st Press - Picture Disc /1000 

As you kind of come to expect from a picture disc, it is housed in a thick poly-sleeve to show off the artwork. This album art (along with most, if not all Circa stuff) is the work of Esao Andrews. The only downside of the art being focused in on this side is that you don't get an image of the full album art. This is definitely cool though! 


B-Side 

At first, I thought this was a 'work in progress' shot of the finished album art; but it seems that the body is hanging at a completely different angle to the final art. I do like the way that this side is left incomplete too, with the balloon left to fill with colour. 
At a first glance, it seems that the corners on the sleeve are bent; but it turns out the sleeve has these strange intentional folds in the cover. I'm not sure if this is to help with safe storage or to properly align the record in the sleeve? Either way, it's something a little different I guess? 


Close Up 

Track-listing, label and recording credits. Aside from the lettering around the outer circumference of the A-Side, this is about the only real lettering on show. This is fine by me though. I don't like the idea of the record being used as an insert! 


Finally 

The stickering on the sleeve is pretty nice. It kind of tells you what you need to know and not much else. The pattern behind the lettering is quite neat also. All in all a great record at an unbeatable price. I feel very lucky to own this LP, and as far as my little Circa haul went, the best is definitely yet to come. 

This variant once sold at $300. Madness. 




No comments:

Post a Comment