Sunday 22 March 2015

True Young Gods

Lately I seem to be on a bit of a kick for US hardcore. Some stuff coming out over the last year or so has really got me enthusiastic for this genre again. I was with Alan at Different Kitchen a few days ago, chatting about not wanting to be a dinosaur who reminisces about how good punk was. Basically, I don't want to be Keith Morris, the UK Subs or a sad bastard that says the last good record came out in '77 or something. So call this what you will, at least I'm still keeping the faith. 


True Love - New Young Gods - React! Records - 1st Press - Black /400 

Another case of me jumping on a band a little late. Not only did I miss out on the Floral Note 7'' these dudes put out through Mayfly, but I also missed out on the Mint Green and Pink colourways that were up for grabs. Both worked really well with the art, but in this case classic black will more than do. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Despite being pressed to 12'', this clocks in at under 15 minutes, so a 10'' would've done the trick. The art and layout works great here though, and I love seeing that huge amount of deadwax in the A-Side. 
Matching centre labels are a pretty cool thing too, only the tracks change on the sides and the A/B side marker. 
A quick note on the back cover photos. I thought the X varsity jacket would be the coolest thing here, but that Moz shirt probably wins it for me. New Young God indeed. 


Insert

Lyrics and band photo, pretty much all you need here. Super clean layout, and all the colour filters to keep you happy. 


Dedicated to all the kids who faded away. Goodbye!
Straight Edge attitude at it's best, and you can't avoid those huge X's in black marker. 
The text is largely thank you's, mastering/ recording/ artwork credits. For me, what isn't written here is what's most important. I was too young to discover bands like American Nightmare and Carry On first time round; but I imagine what I felt the first time I heard Non Places is a pretty close representation. I could moan about how American Nightmare were the last great hardcore band; I could just listen to The Sun Isn't Getting Any Brighter and ignore anything past it. But I won't; and if I ever do just end my miserable existence. 

Stay Posi dudes!




No comments:

Post a Comment