Tuesday 21 April 2015

RSD '15 pt. 1

Okay so everyone loves to have a moan about this day. Obviously, the big moan this year was Deja Entendu (1 store in the UK, 13 copies in the UK, just about double the price in the one UK store than it was in the US) but this year it was all about adjusting expectations for me. I wasn't paying that much for a record with a standard press on the way, and so I resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't ending up with it on the day. In the end I hit up two local stores, picked up three items and cut in at under £30. It was more about spending some time with some good mates, driving around and finishing off the morning with some breakfast. What I want I can pick up in the coming months when prices calm down and what I don't end up with I don't end up with. It's all cool. 
One of my main want this year I did manage to score though which is pretty cool; first item first store. I'll do a couple of posts on RSD so we'll go in order. 


Foo Fighters - Songs From The Laundry Room - Roswell Records - 1st Press - Black /1500 (RSD '15) 

I think the overall pressing number was 4000, with 1500 allocated to the UK and 2500 for the US. I believe the only difference in the two is the RSD sticker. 


The record comes in a Japanese style sealing sleeve, and once you wrestle your record out of that there is an almost J-Card style wrap around the sleeve. It's a really neat little design and proves that every now and then there is something truly worth getting on the day. This also came in at under £10 which is pretty reasonably priced in my book, considering another store near me was selling this for £17... 


The inside of the J-Card is printed up to look almost like a mix tape. The top left is the track listing with additional info such as the date of recording (all of these songs were recorded between '91 and '94 and all predate Kurt Cobain's Death. The rest of the info is credits and contact. 


Outside the J-Card. 

Everything here is pretty explanatory right? 


On to the record. The record comes out of the top of the sleeve as opposed to the side, and although it's hard to photograph the inner sleeve has doodles all over it that look pretty neat. I believe this was all on standard black, and it looks great and seems really well put together. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

The main seller for this was the 'Big Me' demo, but the Kids in America cover is surprisingly pretty great too. Who knew right? This seemed like a necessary release; not an unnecessary classic rock re-issue, not a naff exclusive b-side or remix. For me, this kind of encapsulates what Record Store Day should be about. 


Finally, Stickered Sleeve 

The stickers this year have been changed up a little I think? Always nice to see! 

Cheers!









No comments:

Post a Comment