Thursday 9 April 2015

No Sleep Post Day

I know I haven't posted in a little while (sorry about that!), and as soon as this post is done I'm heading out on my bike to catch the tiny bit of semi decent weather we have going on here. On the upside though I'm going to run through a few records in one go. I recently made an order with No Sleep Records. I haven't bought directly from them in  a little while, but with the recent Shipping Innovation option they added to their webstore, I'm a little more inclined to give direct ordering another try. This bunch came in a couple weeks, which I thought was quite normal and they were packed great without any bumps or dings in the packaging. Great start! 


Have Mercy // Somos - Split - No Sleep Records - 1st Press - Grey & Red Marble /450 

First up is this great split, and the first release from Somos since moving over to No Sleep. Both bands follow a similar pattern of one full band song, one acoustic. I have a real soft spot for the Somos side of this record, but having never really listened to Have Mercy, I'm more inclined now to give their back catalogue a little more time too. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

With the colour way options available, I decided on this over the Clear w/ Green Haze as I recently picked up the Drug Church EP on a similar variant. It's a pretty neat variant and works with the art pretty well so I'm happy enough. 


Have Mercy Insert (Side 1) 

Kind of cut and dry here, so there's not too much to say. TJ Kelley did all the art on this split, and without quoting me, some of his work looks familiar to the Somos // Sorority Noise split that came out late last year. I could be totally wrong, but just a hunch... 


Somos Insert (Side 2)

Again, fairly cut and dry here so not an awful lot to say on the subject. I'm a big fan on how all the art seems to fit together well and how they've made the best of all the space available. Enough on this record though, on to the next! 


Touche Amore // La Dispute - Searching For A Pulse // The Worth Of The World - No Sleep Records - 5th press - Transparent Blue /1000 

If you want to know a bit more on this record, then divert your attention this way: 
http://23rotations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/searching-for-test-press.html

There's nothing to say on this record that I haven't said before. It's cool that it's on a different variant, and I'll always buy new presses but at this point if I said anything on the subject I would just be repeating myself. It was definitely this record going up for pre-order that led me to the No Sleep Store in the first place though. 


Various Artists - A Comp For Mom - No Sleep Records - 1st Press - Red /750 (924/1075) 

This is a benefit compilation released through No Sleep in memory of label owner Chris Hansen's late Mother. It's a great idea, and features some exclusive songs from some great bands either on the No Sleep roster, or affiliated with the label. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Much like the Have Mercy split, this record comes with the printed dust sleeves which I'm a complete sucker for. I'm a big fan of this variant too, it's been a little while since I got a nice solid red LP. There was a Red w/ Cream Splatter too /250 and a friends press on Red W/ Clear Splatter /75. Aside from the test presses, this makes up the full pressing numbers. This wasn't included in the No Sleep Subscription series and is strictly limited to a one time pressing. 


A note about the record. 

Also, track 16 is a digital only cover from Touche Amore taking on Available by The National. But when you take into account the amount of great bands on this comp (Jon from Balance & Composure, Into It. Over It., Moose Blood, The Swellers just to name a few) there was no way I wasn't adding this to my cart on the way through. This record also came in a screened style cardboard jacket and these photos don't do it even a little justice. 


Finally, hand numbering.

Sorry it's been a while, hopefully this lengthy post will semi make up for it. 
Cheers!







No comments:

Post a Comment