Saturday 20 June 2015

Put Walk Among Us On And Turn It Up!

There are fewer feelings out there that rival scoring a record that's been on your want list for some time. Funnily enough, I've had two offers at grabbing this record before and stupidly declined; and as a result I paid the price a little with this copy. 


Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning - Vagrant Records - 1st Press - Black /? (UK Press) 

By paying the price I don't mean that I paid much for this record. In fact I paid about 1/5 of the lowest selling Discogs price. The downside is the condition of the sleeve, it's definitely seen better days. However, no focusing on the negatives; I've been after this record for years and I'm ecstatic to finally own it. This is my favourite record from one of my all time favourite bands, and this definitely brings my collection together a little more. 


Back Cover // B-Side

The state of the cover really shows up here, but the artwork is so beautiful I don't really mind. Weirdly enough, the record itself is pretty mint. There are a bunch of songs squished on this single LP and this makes way for a little thin sound at times. This was rectified with the 2008 pressing that was a 2XLP affair, but I was really pushing for this copy. I have another post lined up that follows the same kind of lines!


Close up of the back cover. 
The cover and insert has a spot UV finish, much the same as the CD and inlay card. It shows up a little on the coffins below. You can tell the UK and US 1st press apart, as the UK edition includes two bonus tracks as listed at the end of the LP. 
I've known this record for around a decade or more, and I still fall in love more and more with every listen. 


Insert 

This design was used for one of the picture disc single 7''s released from this record, possibly This Could Be Love? Either way, it's a great design and this lineup has been going solid since this record came out. 
There's a barely legible 'Thank You' in the background too. 


Insert 

This insert has no lyrics printed, but instead collects all of the separate illustrations from the CD inlay card. The black on black shows the UV finish up quite nicely here. Art/ Production/ Mastering/ Legal Credits all reside here. 

This record is the essential one from this band in my opinion. There is a darker edge to the songs that goes deeper than anything before or since. Good Mourning got me through a bad time or two or twelve, and the connection I have to it makes me feel foolish for not jumping on it earlier. 

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment