Wednesday 20 April 2016

RSD '16 Part One

Record Store Day continues to be a dividing factor for record buyers across the board. We all know the pros and cons, and I'm completely fine with someone not wanting to participate. That being said, I was queuing up bright and early at my local store. When I say bright and early, I mean it was April and snowing. I'm not going to do one long mammoth post on what I bought on the day; it would be way too long for a start. Also, I picked up stuff on the following Sunday and still need to track down a couple of items. 


First up I'll go with the most 'no frills' item of the bunch. My local only got one copy of this and the next record in this post, so that was justification enough to get in line early. Self Defense Family don't normally go for long titles, but 'The Power Doesn't Work In The Presence Of Nonbelievers' is great, and suits the somewhat moody feel of this EP. 
Released through Bad Paintings for RSD in both the UK and the US, I believe the initial run is all on black and /500.


The packaging is super sparse. No insert; just a plain dust sleeve. The track-listing can only be found on the A-Side label, and even then it doesn't list the B-Side song (according to Discogs it's called 'Deersong', which may explain the B-Side label and the art). Bad Paintings also released the Cassette Store Day Release for SDF last year too, so this was a good way to go.


Next up is La Dispute's release 'Tiny Dots' released through Big Scary Monsters. This comes on Clear W/ Blue Splatter and the pressing numbers switch between 1000 and 2000 for this one, nobody seems quite sure. 


The artwork follows a very similar direction to the documentary La Dispute put out last year under the same title and looks great. The sleeve has a weird texture to it that I quite dig too. The variant on this is pretty great, and I've always had a soft spot for a good splatter. 


The insert explains the layout of the LP, with the A-Side containing the musical passages from the documentary and the B-Side is a selection of live songs from All Saints Church in Kingston a couple of years ago. The annotations for the respective sides are a cool little read, and although a bit of me was always holding out for a live LP of the full All Saints show, the 6 Soundtrack passages on the A-Side stand out great in their own right. For a release I wasn't initially crazy over, I'm really glad I grabbed a copy. 

This will be the first in a bunch of RSD posts going on over the next week or two. 
Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment