Sunday 3 April 2016

Crimson on Crimson

Anyone who keeps up with this blog should know that I'm a big Alkaline Trio fan, and although I would never dive in for variant collecting, I would like to own one copy of every release. For the most part, this isn't an impossible task but a couple of their records are pretty hard to come by. This is one that I would stick somewhere in the between of that scale. Not quite Halloween 7'' rare, but still not a quick eBay search away either. 
The rarity of it doesn't concern me in the least though, I'm just really happy to own a copy of this absolute masterpiece on wax. Some people had mixed feelings on this record when it came out, but I have nothing but love for it. Also, From Here To Infirmary turns 15 today, so no better way to celebrate right? 


There are a few coloured options for this record, but Crimson on Crimson should really be the only way to go right? 
Much like my copy of Good Mourning, this is the UK single LP version, and double LP copies were pressed a few years later to accommodate the length of the record a little better. I have no double LP press to compare to, and for the most part this sounds great, but some tracks towards the end of the B-Side seem to lack a little punch. Maybe it's my ears though?


This was the first and only coloured copy of the record at the time, and no pressing information has been released about it. There were 4 double LP coloured copies pressed in 2009 of 1000 units a piece, making the total pressing /4000. No repress has happened since then and hence this record is quite a pain in the arse to find. 


The insert is a double sided 12''x12'' full colour type deal. Fun fact, my Alkaline Trio tattoo was traced direct from the CD inlay card of Crimson way back in 2007. It still has tattoo ink on it.
This side contains the lyrics to the A-Side. 


The other side has the B-Side lyrics, thanks and credits. The font and slightly off colour scheme made this one a little tough to photograph. 


Finally we have the hype sticker. Limited Edition is something to be desired when you don't release pressing info though! All I know is that although vinyl sales were down in the mid 00's, this record was everywhere. Anyone's guess I suppose? 

Cheers!









No comments:

Post a Comment