Saturday 10 January 2015

FreeWhirl

A bit of a late pass on this record. It's weird, sometimes you can like a band enough to dip in and out of their back back catalogue, but sometimes you miss the boat completely. Even worse in this case, as this LP got a fair amount of hype; and rightfully so. Better late than never though right? 


Whirr - Sway - Graveface Records - 1st Press - Brown // Bone // Yellow /2100 

Sorry about the not so great photographs over the next few posts. Winter here gives us about 15 minutes of sunlight a day, so this is the only way to get things done, and I'd rather post this way than not at all. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

I really like the artwork for this LP, and Whirr generally have great design for their releases. Nickolas Schuller and Ryan McCardle handled art and layout for this one. McCardle did some cool stuff for Wild Nothing in the past. Schuller is definitely a familiar face though, doing work for Nothing and Camera Shy. He also designed the 'Swhirl'. Strangely enough, on Schuller's online portfolio, one of the copies shown of 'Part Time Punks Sessions' by Whirr is a photograph I took. I'm guessing he nabbed the photo from my Instagram? 


Dust Sleeve

The Swhirl. Or Freewhirl as people are calling it. 


Dust Sleeve Pt. 2 

Graveface logos everywhere. 
This is real neat. Sometimes I'm not the biggest fan of printing up dust sleeves to use as an insert and putting lyrics over them, so this is a nice midpoint as far as I'm concerned. 


Gate-fold. 

As I'm limited on space to photograph stuff in direct sunlight, I thought I'd add this in. The gate-fold sleeve works well with the art, and unlike most sleeves the spine isn't super chunky so it sits a bit better on the shelf. 


The first panel is the lyrics to the record. And you really do need them to follow the tracks. The vocals seem drowned in reverb and almost whispered at times. Even in the most abrasive parts of this record, the vocals are kept a big secret. Not that I would have it any other way, I'd just be miffed if I didn't have this to follow the songs with. 


The second panel is a little more sparse. Lineup change, recording // production // mastering credits. Art and design credits. 


Finally

To the right is the Download Code. To the left is something quite cool; the Freddy Points scheme. The more points you get, the cooler the prize. I like free stuff, if you want to send me your unwanted Freddy Points I'll grab a 7'' and say thanks. 

There's not much left to say on this record really. I think it's the best they've done by a pretty long stretch, and now is as good a chance as any to listen if you haven't before? 
Cheers!












No comments:

Post a Comment