Thursday 5 February 2015

Euro Tour Voices

Although I have a few really cool records from the No Idea back catalogue, I am very reluctant to talk about them. Not for any other reason than I feel I really am not the authority on No Idea stuff (three guesses for who is right?). Although my knowledge on this stuff is not so thorough, I guess it has a story to tell if nothing else? 


Bridge And Tunnel - Indoor Voices - No Idea Records - Euro Tour Press - /250 

I also have the 10'' of this, but there was a huge time difference in acquiring the two, so today we'll be talking about this. Long story short, these were made for a European Tour prior to the official release of the 'Indoor Voices' 10''. 
The sleeve is different to the 10'' release, with colourless art screened onto a 12'' card sleeve. This version seems a little easier to follow with the upscaled artwork too. 
Although the pressing numbers from the Euro Press (according to the No Idea Discography Page) are simply /250, there are a couple slight differences from what I have seem with these. 
  1. The card sleeves seem to differ in colour. Now I cannot remember whether there was a lighter or darker colour to the other variant, but there definitely was a split in the colour of the card. Whether the sleeves were both /125 as a split run I do not know. 
  2. The centre labels across the pressing are different too. I believe that there were purple labels also on this pressing. I believe yellow and purple were the only colour of centre labels available. Again, the split of the two is unclear to me. 
All of the records were on varying degrees of Purple Mix too.


B-Side // Back Cover 

As you can (possibly) see from the photo, this is still a 10'' record. The records are cut from 12'' plates and then the deadwax is cut away. In this case there is a 2'' run-on groove before any noise hits. It's a little bit of a quirky fun thing to do (and probably saves the labour cost of cutting 2''s of dead wax from 250 records). As these were for tour too I guess there was a bit of a time limit to go by as well? Not 100% on why they were done this way, but I'm really glad they are! 


Insert. 

This seems to be the same as the insert inside the 10'' copies of this EP. Pretty much all you need (lyrics and credits) and I don't know why, but all Bridge And Tunnel releases always seem to have a little more of a DIY aesthetic to them than others. It's been a minute or two since this band showed their faces. In fact they've been very bloody quiet lately! 

Anyway, the big reason on writing about this one today was that I grabbed this on my first trek to Alan's house. This record wasn't in the Different Kitchen store, but was just sitting on the shelf in the office space that he operates out of. It's definitely a cooler way to shop than going online, you get real good coffee in real good mugs too. And real people conversation. And Royal Mail don't lose your shit that way either. I'll be seeing you soon buddy, lock up your Jets to Brazil records!

Cheers




No comments:

Post a Comment