Sunday 1 February 2015

All Hail Fall Children

I'm going to get this one done and out the way whilst it's still fresh in my mind. Not that I don't want to ramble about it. But this is going to come at a time where a large portion of the readers of this blog are going to receive their copies of this amazing record in the next few days, if they have not received it already. Let's be honest with one another, you all ordered this fucking record and you're loving it just as much as I am! 


AFI - All Hallows EP - Nitro Records - 1st Press - Orange /500? 

There's a few issues with this one. I know it's not a 1st press as such, but it is the 1st 10'' press of this record so it kind of counts as a new 1st press right? Another bone to pick with this one is the /500 pressing number that's floating around. I'm just not sure I believe it. The demand for this (and the price of an original press nowadays) would surely be more to justify at least a press /1000? If it is /500 then cool? But if it was 6 times that I wouldn't be overly surprised. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Art for this was handled by Alan Forbes, and this artwork sticks out a mile. You could shove it under the nose of a pretty decent percentage of punx (or whatever) and they would be able to tell you what it's all about. The upshot of scaling up to the 10'' format is that the art stands out that little more for it, which can only be a good thing right? As I never owned the 7'', I only had a CD copy for reference. It's nice to see it the way it should be seen. 
The variant is another thing we'll dive into quickly, as these photos really do not do it justice. This thing is super vivid, and looks great next to the artwork. Maybe it's a little nod to the original press too? I don't know, either way it looks great.


Insert

This stays pretty close to the CD inlay. Cool move on Jade Puget's part with the Moz shirt. 


Insert

Lyrics take up the vast majority of this page. Recording, mastering, artwork, photo credits are in the bottom right corner. 
Thank You Everyone is about as detailed as the thanks get. 

For a re-issue this is about all you want. Either to go all out with a book, extended liners, bonus tracks and all the rest. Or stick as close to the original as you can, whilst leaving one glaringly obvious tell apart (in this case, the size of the record). Neither seem half arsed, and everything in between kind of does. 
I'm so glad a reissue of this record happened. I'd be very hard pushed to part with the £100+ that an original copy demands nowadays, but I was getting to the point where I was seriously considering it. Thankfully, this came along just at the right time and I'm more than happy with this copy in my collection. The only slight letdown was the promise of a poster with the pre-order that never came through. It's not great loss as such, as it would have just sat in the sleeve forever and a day anyway, but it would've been nice. However, the absolutely stellar packaging job from Nitro was a just about worth not getting a poster for anyway. 


Sticker from the cellophane that now resides on the dust cover. 
It's not often that I go in for a nostalgic release, but this isn't even a nostalgia thing for me. I still love this EP just as much as I did when I first heard it. 
Now I'm going to spend the rest of my day spinning this and playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, who's in? 




No comments:

Post a Comment