Sunday 5 July 2015

Capitol Repress or Bust?

So I've come to the conclusion that I can't fucking help myself. Even a little bit. I'm a dude with a terrible habit that shows no sign of slowing down. 

Just shy of a year ago I wrote a post on one of my favourite records of all time: Clarity by Jimmy Eat World that you can read if you didn't catch the first time round here: 
http://23rotations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/big-wheel-or-bust.html

This is useful for two reasons. First off, it details how a BWR press of this was the only way to go and how this coming post makes me a total liar. It'll also prove to be a good comparison article. If you haven't guessed by now... 


Jimmy Eat World - Clarity - Capitol Records - 1st Press - Black - /? (2XLP) 

Again, pressing info here is super hard to find, but as far as I know, black was the only colour of this pressing. I still also count this as a first pressing, as the bonus tracks and new label make it to be a completely new press. The obvious giveaway mark between the two pressings is the vertical lettering on display here with the mirrored 'Clarity' and the omission of the band name this time around. Oh, the bonus tracks kind of make it easy too! 


Back Cover // B-Side 

The back cover art is different from the BWR press, and the enhanced CD art from the '07 enhanced CD version uses this art with a slightly re-jiggled track-listing. This pressing of the album surfaced in 2009, and if memory serves, the band were doing a Clarity 10th Anniversary tour at the time so it all fit together nicely. 


Track-listing 

The only difference between this and the CD order is that Christmas Card and Sweetness (Demo) are past Goodbye Sky Harbor. This means the CD plays the album as intended with bonus tracks at the end. This was not an option with the vinyl version though as Goodbye Sky Harbor takes up the whole D-Side, much the same way as it did previously. 


Inside the Gatefold 

This press includes a gatefold sleeve which is something new! This is the left panel, showing off the original back cover art and some lyrics. This layout is quite stark and easy to follow, and it feels good to open this out and follow it with the LP playing. 


Inside the Gatefold 

More lyrics and credits - both concerning the record and the new art and tracks included in this press. However, my favourite thing here is this photograph. I love seeing stuff like this, and I'll often grab photo books from bands I like a lot as it really gauges the time and place of a certain record or moment in a genre. They look so damn young here! 


Group Shot 

Maybe it's just me, but the BWR press art seems a little more clear and crisp. Maybe the smaller text helps, or maybe the art for the repress was just upscaled from the CD version and it lost some of the fine detail? Maybe I'm completely wrong! 

So a year ago, I said I only needed one copy of this; but when a classic pops up on the 'Bay so cheap, you really have to take a chance on it right? My feelings on this album are already very clear, and my love for this record has only grown since I last wrote about it. I have no intentions of fucking with a Shop Radio Cast repress, but apparently I can no longer be trusted on these matters. I would love to hunt down a coloured copy now too. I have a problem. 

Thank you for reading!








No comments:

Post a Comment