Thursday 23 July 2015

Greek Uncle

This year I hope to make a dent in a few collections that are still growing. Dinosaur Jr. are a big priority; I'm hoping to grab some Jets To Brazil stuff and a huge list of other wants. However, a top priority will always be Moz. Today is more of a catch up on my progress here, which is only one LP, but it's a little quirky so we'll dive into it. 


Morrissey - Kill Uncle - His Master's Voice - 1st Press - Black /? 

This is kind of the odd Moz LP out of the early few. Very sparse in the singles department, and almost verging on weird and tuneless in places. However, this is one of the records I find myself getting obsessed with for weeks at a time, unable to play anything else or unable to concentrate. I'll find a hook in any song that brings me straight back here. How it's taken me so long to get a copy on vinyl I'll never know; more so because it's never particularly hard or expensive to come by. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

The cover art to this one always seemed quite odd as to me all of these photos have an almost outtake quality to them. The layout is quite sparse with very little in the way of text; all Moz and clouds. 


Inside the gatefold

All lyrics and credits, with only thanks going to Seymour Stein. I don't know too much about the dude other than The Smiths were signed under Sire by him. If anyone knows the deal behind this then feel free to let me know? 


The only slightly weird thing about this record is that it was manufactured in Greece under EMI. I know that most people get all uppity on getting the 1st UK press when it comes to most artists, but the fact that things like this never really happen now makes it a fun little 'of the era' deal that I can get behind. 
When it comes to Morrissey, I always feel like I own less than what I am chasing, and at this point in the game that is definitely true but I'm okay chipping away here and there for now. There are some real heavy hitters that I'm not looking forward to forking out to own! 

Thanks for reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment