Friday 24 July 2015

For God and Country

Here we fall into the section of posts I like to call 'look at all the cool stuff I got at Alan's'. For those that keep up with this blog, you'll probably know that Alan Beningfield runs Different Kitchen records and that every couple of month-ish I take a trip to his house and collect a stack of the best stuff. On this trip I bought back with me a mix of stock from his store, orders from labels that we had split and even a Discogs bag or two. I probably won't write about every record I bought else this set of posts would never end, but a few won't hurt right? 

So let's start with a band that I write about here every now and then, and this variant in particular looked so great I couldn't resist a second copy. 


Cursed - One (Reissue) - Deathwish Inc. - 1st Press - Clear W/ Blood Red, Royal Blue and White Splatter /300 

This variant sold out straight away when it came up for sale on Record Store Day 2013 I believe? Since then it occasionally pops up on the Bay, but I never went completely out my way to get one as I got the distro colour from this press (Silver /2000). However, a few weeks back I got the splatter version of 'Two' and since then I got a hankering to own this. Fortunately it tied in that Deathwish had some kind of warehouse clearance and found a few copies of this kicking around and put them up in the store at the same price they always were, and as Alan was putting an order in for the new Coliseum record (or possibly the Planes Mistaken For Stars reissue?) I asked if he would add this the order. Above and beyond man, thank you! 


Back Cover // B-Side 

The back cover used the original press front cover art I believe, and the front cover is from the Thrash Art press. People got a bit weird about this being called a 1st press as Deathwish had already put it out around a decade before, and then Thrash Art reissued it after. However, I assume that with the new art and the reissue tag, it got a remaster and the art is definitely expanded so it makes it a new record in it's own right I guess? I think they made completely new plates for this press too; as I never had a 1st press for comparison I'm just happy in the knowledge that this press sounds incredible.


Inside the gatefold. 

Chris Colohan draped in an American flag. O' Canada! 


As is the same with 'Two', the reissue came with a big double sided poster. However, this one comes on a glossy almost photo paper type material as opposed to card type stock in 'Two'. Both look great and you probably can't tell from a photo, but nevertheless have a photo of He Goat. 


The other side of the poster came with this photo of Colohan. The intensity of a Cursed show is something I'll most likely never experience but you can hear it in the record and you can see it in this photo. Forever envious. 


The small section of writing from the Colohan side of the poster contains all the lyrics and credits. It seems weird that there is so much space on this reissue and yet they were stuck in the smallest corner of a huge poster. It seems a little odd to me, but for how incredible this reissue is, I'm really not going to call this a fault. 

To put it simply, this band are fucking untouchable and I can't wait to hear what Deathwish does with Architects of Troubled Sleep. 

Cheers! 











No comments:

Post a Comment