Sunday 19 July 2015

Deathwish Mail Day (kinda)

I like doing mail day posts. I kind of feel they give an idea of where my buying habits are at in a certain point in time. This year, Deathwish Inc. have been killing it consistently, and this post is nothing more than showing a couple additions to the family. At this point I have ran out of storage room and all of these are on the floor by my bed which I'm not too chuffed about. But, buying records over buying record storage any day. 


Cold Cave - Full Cold Moon - Deathwish Inc. - 1st Press - Black / 1742 

This record originally came out on CD through Eisold's Heart Worm imprint, with different cover art. I nearly jumped on that but held out in the hopes of a vinyl version. Thankfully, Deathwish delivered and I am a huge fan of how this turned out, 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Do I own most of these songs on vinyl already? Of course. Was I going to pass on owning the Nausea, The Earth And Me EP on vinyl when it was digital only until now? Of course I wasn't. The centre labels are cool too, the CC logo that frames the track-listing each side is a nice touch. 


Insert 

Originally used for the 'God Made The World' 7'' Picture Disc, this side of the insert is printed on photo paper I think, extremely high gloss. It looks great, but watch out for all the finger smudges that will no doubt get all over this! 


Insert 

Whilst lyrics are cool, I thought I'd concentrate on the small list of thanks and this poem Wes leaves us with. I'm not sure if this has been used previously as I'm not as familiar with his written works as I would like to be. This is definitely spurring me on to grab some stuff as I come across it. 


Finally , this sticker was on the shrink which I clumsily peeled off and stuck on the dust cover. This sticker displays the 5 EP's that make up the compilation. Cool right? 


Self Defense Family - Heaven Is Earth - Deathwish Inc. - 1st Press - Clear /2100

Another quick minute, another SDF release. At any given time I am missing at least 3 or 4 records from this band. I know that I'm missing the Talia 7'' from recent months and weirdly enough the Scotland 7'' too. Not because I lost interest, purely because this band release so much I cannot keep up. However, I saw this and couldn't say no. I'll definitely grab what I'm missing, but this intrigued me to the point of needing to grab right now! 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Although any colour of this would've looked great, the most common colour will do just fine. My favourite part of the layout is how the back cover acts as an insert for this one. As a result, you get a dust sleeve and a download card. Compared to the relatively lush layout of 'Try Me', this one seems a little stripped back, but that's not a problem at all. Some of my favourite SDF songs are here, and with every listen I get sucked in more. 


Again I'm skipping over the lyrics on the back cover for the more interesting part. This record was recorded over 4 different studios, with 4 different producers coming from a range of genres. This small section explains what songs were recorded where. Weirdly, this record seems remarkably consistent and although you can hear a difference in the tracks it doesn't sound remotely disjointed. 


Again this record came with a sticker on the shrink, but after the bodge job I made on getting the Cold Cave one off, I thought I'd leave this one be. 

This post proves another point for me. With how vinyl is coming such a popular thing nowadays and how my love for music is ever expanding, I'm overwhelmed with how much there is to buy. As a result, I don't pre-order every record in hopes of scoring the rarest variant and in this case, I settled for whatever Amazon had and it cost me about 2/5's of what it would've cost in shipping from the label direct. Not Deathwish's fault at all and that's cool, and you can bet that I'll still chase variants a bunch. However, sometimes I would rather settle on a more common variant and buy more records? 

Thanks for reading!














No comments:

Post a Comment