Friday 17 July 2015

Marietta Mail Day

It seems that I'm constantly playing catch up with Dog Knights Productions' output at the minute. Maybe I fell behind a little earlier this year and as a result I'm not getting everything as it comes out. Thankfully, Darren is a great dude and always managed to sort it out for me. Hopefully before the year is out I'll get back on top of it and just grab stuff from pre-order. However, for now I'm going to shove two records from one cool band into one probably not so cool post, but bear with me because the records are far greater than anything I'll tell you about them. 

First up, we have a full length!


Marietta - Summer Death - Dog Knights Productions - 1st Press - Half Seafoam Green // Half Solid Blue /150 

I think this record hits one of the very few occasions where the physical product for a split variant looks better than the stock photo. I mean, there is no bleed in the colours, it looks great with the artwork and it sounds brilliant to my ears. I can't say on the audio quality of the other variant. but a photo was posted of the White//Blue Starburst /150 variant on the DKP Facebook and it looked pretty mental too. 


Back Cover // B-Side

The art for this one is a little strange, and the stacked photography may look a little weird if you're not up close with the record. But the cover art in particular just suits the feel of the record. I was looking through the insert and art on my first listen through of this LP and 'Cinco De Mayo Shit Show' sounds like it was written just for that cover. It's a strange one to describe but I mentioned this record was way cooler than anything I had to say about it right? 


Insert 

Cover art and credits takes up this side, which is about all you need. 


Insert 

Lyrics. I love this type of font, it always reminds me of inserts found in old CDr demos or an old zine layout. Fitting words here and there just to get them all in. 

On to the 7''!


Marietta - Cuts - Dog Knights Productions - 1st Press - Grey /150

This record (and I know the full length was distro'd) was a split release with Skeletal Lightning over in the US. The Green/350 was for the US dudes, and this one was a Dog Knights exclusive, but maybe a couple copies landed in the US, Who knows right? Kind of a similar theme on the artwork with the stacked photography, and both work just as well. 


B-Side // Back Cover 

Again, a fairly similar layout to the LP, and I hope this theme continues. However, the difference over the two releases is the A/B label change. On the LP, they are near identical save the A/B markings. However, the labels here show different aspects of the respective art on the covers. Neat huh? 


Insert // Spine

The inner sleeve works as the insert this time, which looks great in person but it's pretty hard to get a clear photo of the text with an iPhone and British weather. However, this photo shows my favourite aspect of this release. This 7''comes with a printed spine despite not being a gatefold or double. I remember in an interview DKP did a good few months ago, Darren expressed a love for aesthetics and wanting to up the packaging game (I think he may have dropped a label like Denovali or something for reference). This is a great example of a dude doing what he said he would, and doing it well. Releasing beautiful looking records from great hardworking bands from all over. There is no need to do this other than making the record look better, and personally I can't think of a better reason than that.


Finally, it wouldn't be a Dog Knights post without showing off their mad sticker game. Honestly the best in the world. 

Thanks for reading!













No comments:

Post a Comment