Wednesday 19 August 2015

Olive Green La Lune

Screamo is an important genre for me. I remember when I first got heavy into record collecting - and I'm talking in the sense of variants/ nice DIY packaging/ following a label's output kind of stuff - bands like The Saddest Landscape, Orchid, Beau Navire and a few others really excited me. The Saddest Landscape// Pianos Become the Teeth 9'' was such a cool and alien concept for me. Old 90's Witching Hour or Ebullition comps taught me the value of a good DIY release etc. 

One of the bands I remember from that time fondly is Suis La Lune, and when I got Riala I became obsessed for a while. Then they disappeared. Long story short, this band remind me of a nice turning point and they came back with a new release and it's cool as you like so I'm going to talk about it. 


Suis La Lune - Distance / Closure - Topshelf Records - 1st Press - Olive Green /150

At first, I was a little weirded out by a 4 track EP and kind of longed for a full length. But these 4 songs clock in at around 30 minutes and are so packed that you'd never think of this as an EP. Quite possibly the darkest and most desperate this band have sounded, and was definitely worth the wait. 

I can't speak for the other variants, but this record looks great. It's a really smooth looking piece of wax, and the green works well alongside the art. I grabbed this from pre-order as soon as I saw it come up, and I'm really glad I did. I don't pre-order in the hopes of scoring a particular variant too much these days but I couldn't resist this one. And a UK store from Topshelf that actually allows an option of all available variants is definitely a fine example of a label doing it right. Well done dudes! 


Back Cover // B-Sides 

The Distance and Closure centre labels are a pretty neat thing. The content here is super dark and that comes through in the themes the title suggest. Within is an absolutely blistering closer, clocking somewhere close to 12 minutes. 

The front and back cover comes with a nice silver foil stamped sleeve. Kind of difficult to photograph but it looks truly beautiful. 


Thanks and dedications. The other side of the insert is blank and no lyrics are provided. 

Thank you for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment