Saturday 26 September 2015

Cassette Symmetry

Earlier this year, an album with the coolest title ever was released by Pet Symmetry and I didn't buy it. I don't know why I slacked off so hard, but for one reason or another I just never got around to it. Over time though, I heard good things and took a blind buy from the Polyvinyl store when they grabbed a bunch of distro stuff, I liked the first 7'' they put out, and with Evan Weiss and a dude from Dowsing on board, how bad could it be? 


Pet Symmetry - Pets Hounds - Pretty Lush Records - 1st Press - Green Tint /? 

I mean, Pet Sounds // Pets Hounds. Great! Even all the song titles have awkward puns. Awkward pop songs with awkward pun titles, it's way better than it should be and I'm sad I slept on it for so long. To make things even better, this is just about everything you want in a cassette release. 


Spine View 

So we have a printed up shell on both sides, and a neat looking variant. I'm a sucker for anything like this, and more so it sounds pretty okay when you play it too with very little in the way of pops and surface noise. 


However, my favourite aspect of this release is the printed up J-Card. There's a few cool illustrations, expanded cover art and a whole bunch of words. I photographed a small section to give you some idea of font size, and as you can tell there's a bunch of words in a small space. 

I'm down with any cassette release that puts in the effort like this one did. I recently turned down two Drug Church cassettes from a seller as I already had both on vinyl. As they were from Pretty Lush I'm starting to think I should've grabbed them when I had the chance... 

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment