Sunday 27 September 2015

TA/CL

It's funny that I'll be talking about a repress of this 7'' as I'm fairly sure I never covered the first two presses here. If anyone is that fussed about seeing what came before, let me know and I'll kick together a backdate post? 

It seems this thing has been on pre-order for an age, so it's nice to finally have it. Not that I don't know how it sounds back to front, but I have never said no to a piece of Touche Amore vinyl yet. Plus, that promise of updated art and centre labels has to be a bonus right? 


Touche Amore // The Casket Lottery Split - No Sleep Records - 3rd Press - Pink // White Starburst /500 

The updated art and labels really mean that they switched from black and white to colour. I'm more than cool with that; this record is cool on the art front but it's way more about the packaging. As a fun side note, this wasn't supposed to be this colour and was not advertised as this variant when I pre-ordered. The original plan was a black//clear split, as I guess it would go with the art. For some reason, that variant never surfaced and we were treated to this instead. I guess that thematically it's a little off, but I love the burst of bright colour in a colourless sleeve. Works for me anyway! 


Touche Amore // The Casket Lottery Split - No Sleep Records - 3rd Press - Black // White Starburst /500

This variant was definitely planned, and it looks mental. I love the random aspect of starburst and this is no exception. Both play great, but this copy is a little heavier and certainly bounces around the turntable at times. Even if it was totally unplayable, it's not like I don't have another 7 or so copies I could spin? 


The back cover opens up, almost like a flower blooming. It looks incredible and my piss poor photography will do it no justice. Art was once again handled by Nick from Touche. Since the early years of this band, their packaging on 7''s has been mad good, but this has to be my favourite past the La Dispute split. The 7'' fits neatly underneath these initial folds too.


Further into the unfolding and you start to see the text underneath. The font colour changed to differentiate between the two contributing bands. Each band offers up an original and a cover, and not one second of this split is anything short of great. The Casket Lottery offered a few releases on No Sleep in quite short succession, and if you didn't check them out you possibly should. 


Finally, the cover art fully unfurled. 

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment