Tuesday 29 December 2015

Braid on Tape

So I am going to start my 'look at all the cool stuff I got for Christmas' posts about now, and I thought I'd start with a good one. It's my favourite time of year, and I am always astounded at the generosity of my family and friends. I got to spend time with loved ones and eat more than I should have, and on top of that I got an incredible haul. This particular gift came from my in-laws, and as usual they went over the top and got it spot on. 


Braid - 6 Cassettes Box Set - Polyvinyl Records - 1st Press - Multicoloured Shells /500 

Before we even get to the contents of this incredible package, let's have a look at this. All of the contents are held in a hand made wooden box. The lid is hinged as opposed to a lift-off type deal and the fact that these were made one by one just makes everything seem a complete labour of love. The design was made by Jay Ryan who played Bass for Braid. I've always had a lot of love for his design work, especially the Hum tour posters where he initially caught my eye. Anyway, enough of my rambling and on to the contents! 


6 cassettes, a booklet and a Polyvinyl sticker just in shot. 

Although these records were released on a bunch of different labels, it's nice to see that Polyvinyl were able to put this lovely package together. The way I see it, the label that released Frame & Canvas really should be allowed to carry the torch right? This Box Set truly couldn't have come out any better in my eyes, and to not jump straight to a vinyl collection is great. Offering these songs on a completely new format (on all counts I believe) was a cool move in my eyes for sure. 


The booklet presents all the lyrics. Due to it having to fit an odd size box, it's a little hard to photograph in any great detail. Individual thanks for all the records are in the respective J-Cards.


Finally, here it is in all it's glory! Each shell matches the art to some degree, and it looks truly beautiful. Definitely something to be seen in person for the full effect of what it has to offer. I'm still making my way through the albums, but so far it's turning out to be a true gem of my collection. 

I'm hoping to squeeze in as many Christmas related posts as possible, but I'm still catching up on stuff I got a few months ago. I won't post about everything I got for Christmas, but if anyone wants I can make a collective 'Christmas Collection' photo or something. 
Hope everyone had a great one. 
Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment