Saturday 19 December 2015

Nostalgia Buys?

Does anyone else have this real internal war going on when it comes to buying a record largely based on nostalgia purposes? I mean, a decade ago an album might have meant an awful lot to me, and sounded like the best thing in the world; but it is worth buying an album and shattering all of those lovely early teen illusions? Is it just enough to know the worn out CD copy that sits in your old bedroom at your Mother's house is there just in case? I have trouble keeping up with new releases, and so 99% of the time I bail on a reissue that may only get a couple of 'hey this record was cool as fuck when I was 13' kind of listens. 

When I heard this was coming out though, all of this common sense was thrown to the wind and replaced with 'this record was cool as fuck when I was 13', so I split an order with a buddy and this arrived. 


+44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating - 2nd Press - Clear W/ White and Blue Splatter /2000 (Hot Topic Exclusive) 

After kicking myself for missing out on the Blink reissues through Hot Topic, I had to take the dive and grab this before it went (which it did, really quickly from what I remember). The CD's were issued on a few different colours, I got the green sleeve way back when but as the 1st vinyl press was the blue sleeve with white w/ blue swirl vinyl (also a Hot Topic exclusive possibly) it kind of makes sense to tie in the theme with both the first press of this LP and the Blink theme with the splatter I guess. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

This record comes in a pretty chunky gatefold sleeve that looks lovely on a shelf. The little bit of overlay in the splatter around the back helps to fill some of the blank space too. 


Inside the gatefold looks pretty similar to the CD inlay, other than the inlay was cut into a '+' (neat right?) but the photos are almost definitely the same, and the majority of the text no doubt is too. 


It's kind of weird to think that nearly 10 years has gone since this record came out, and even weirder to think that it still holds up so well. I held off on this post for a few weeks, and found myself listening to it so much that it just made sense. There's definitely a few records that I've seen from around this era that no doubt I'll get sucked into grabbing soon enough.


HT sticker on the shrink. 

If Hot Topic would now do a fancy splatter job on the Box Car Racer LP, and finally do another repress of Take This To Your Grave by Fall Out Boy I'd be pretty chuffed. 

My next post will hopefully be a cool cassette by an even cooler band and I'm sure that at least a couple of readers will have it too. The one after that could well be a 10''. Crazy.







No comments:

Post a Comment