Sunday 13 December 2015

If God Made Anything Better...

It's not often that I stray too far out of the norm here, you kind of know at least a little about what a band may sound like on this blog. That's not to say that what you see here is all I listen to, and sometimes I am unashamedly dancing around to out and out pop music. 


The 1975 - Medicine - Dirty Hit Records - 1st Press - Amber // Yellow /1000 (Promo) 

I believe this was originally released as a promo and giveaway record through Dirty Hit Records, and the song Medicine was originally part of the Radio 1 Drive Re-Score. Since I first heard this song I fell in love with it. It suited the film perfectly and the cover art portrays the same idea from the section of film. It just works together. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

So here's a quick story about how I got this record. At it's highest point this record has sold for £180 on Discogs, but the good dudes at Dirty Hit Records have re-pressed it so hopefully that will put an end to anything near that selling price. Around the same time of announcing that a re-press would be happening, they also announced that the remaining 1st press copies would be going up for sale at their stall at the Spitalfields Indie Label Market for £5 each. 
Long story short I wasn't able to go, but I knew someone who also had a stall there who managed to grab it on my behalf and post it over to me. 


On the centre label you can see the 2014 // Promotional Purposes Only marker. Both the label and back cover of the repress say 2015. 
Obviously I would have settled for a repress if I didn't grab a copy from the label on that day, as I can't justify spending that much on any record really, but there's something really special about owning this one for me. I wish I had thought to photograph it too, but there is a spine on the record too that reads the band name and release. 

As a cool parting note for this 7'', the run off grooves are 'If God Made Anything Better....' // '...He Kept It For Himself' which is a quote from William Burroughs. It'd probably be a little more romantic if he wasn't talking about smack right?


The 1975 - Fallingforyou - Dirty Hit Records - 1st Press - Transparent /? 

I know this is technically a repress, but this is the first UK press. The original press was through Interscope Records as a promo. Dirty Hit repressed this one up for the Indie Label Market and then was later made available online. I have no idea on pressing numbers but I assume it's in the 1000-2000 range. Both tracks on this 7'' are available on the IV EP, and I really regret not picking that up on Record Store Day. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Although I took a fairly shitty photo of this side, you get the idea, with the back cover layout following the same theme as the 'Medicine' 7''. 


Finally here's the two of them together

This was my first post not using my iPhone camera. I may go back to it yet, but if I carry on with this one please expect a few quirks, a few blurry photos just while I get accustomed to it. I don't deal well with technology.

Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment