Thursday 4 September 2014

Anniversary Gift

I mentioned in my last piece that I am a sucker for a box set. Looking back through my posts, there isn't a whole lot of evidence to suggest that, so I'm writing about one now. 


This is the Visitors Box Set from Dinosaur Jr. released through Jagjaguwar and The Numero Group for Record Store Day 2014. I didn't get my copy on Record Store Day, my local shop did not have one in stock. Instead, I ended up with one a month or two after as a wedding anniversary gift. However, Alan at Different Kitchen sorted the whole thing out apparently as my wife got a bit confused about the whole thing, which is unusual. So cheers bud! This box set compiles represses of the first 4 singles, plus a bonus 7''.


Before we get into the records though, there is an essay and art book compiled by Maura Jasper. During the early years of Dinosaur Jr., Maura Jasper handled all the artwork for the band and so has some great stories to tell, alongside some cool sketches and unused art from the time. 



The book folds out in a really weird way. Pages almost unfold inside an existing page; I've not come across anything like it before but it's really quite impressive. 


The essay continues and then ends with some more art used for DinoJr. releases. The album Bug (top left illustration) is especially important to me, as it was the first LP I heard by the band. There is a bunch more in this book, but I won't go into it too much. 


The 1st 7'' in the box set is Repulsion, the first single from the band. Originally this was put out through Homestead Records, and although the centre labels are updated to the Numero Group label; they have kept the font from the Homestead press (and centre label colour). Kind of a nice touch. Also, although the band had to change their name from Dinosaur to Dinosaur Jr. pretty early on in their career, the cover is kept to the original press. 


B-Side // Back Cover. These presses still have the old mailing address on the back cover. They have really tried to recreate the look of an old 7'', down to the large centre holes and lack of a dust cover. This is the same for every 7'' in this box. Really thoughtful presentation, and both of these songs are mad good. 


2nd 7'' - Little Fury Things. Originally pressed as a 12'' and 10'' maxi single through SST Records. The labels say JAG but in the SST font. 


B-Side // Back Cover. As this was cut down to a 7'' from a 12'', one track was taken from the B-Side and added to the bonus 7''. The photo collage on the back cover is interesting to look at, J. Mascis looks so young here! 


Number 3. Freak Scene. Numero Group text under the Blast First logo. Originally through SST and Blast First. Freak Scene (track 1 of Bug) was the first Dinosaur Jr. song I ever heard, so this was an important one for me. 


B-Side // Back Cover. The font and general look of the art is really reminiscent of the Bug album art. Minimal information here, which is more than cool by me. I love how these records look. 


Just Like Heaven. Single number 4. Originally written by The Cure. This song came up again at RSD '14 on a Side by Side 7''. I don't have that though. SST // Blast First originally put this out. On this copy, there is the JAG(jaguwar) take on the SST label. 


B-Side // Back Cover. The A and B Sides were recorded at different studios with different engineers. The B-Side was recorded by the same engineer, at the same studio as the Freak Scene 7''. Chunks was also originally by a band called Last Rights, an old Taang! Records band. Cool tune. 


This is the bonus, 5th and final 7'' in the box. The art on the 7'' is similar to the box art, and I'm not sure if it has been used previously or not. The A-Side is Show Me the Way, a cover of a Peter Frampton song. I remember hearing the original on 'Frampton Comes Alive' but I prefer this version. Numero Group labels. 


Back Cover // B-Side. The B-Side is 'I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better' originally by The Byrds. This cover originally surfaced on a tribute comp called 'Time Between'. So this is a 7'' of covers. Normally I wouldn't be too into this, but I dig anything Dino Jr. put out. 


Family Photo. The bottom of the box is photographed to the right of the top of the box. This is part of the Numero Group '700 Line' (numero 705). The middle item is the front cover of the art book / essay. Sometimes RSD box sets (well, releases in general) can be a little throwaway, but this is truly a great thing to own, and really feels like you're getting more than the music. This was 'limited' to 5000. 


Finally, this was the sticker on the shrink. I still keep the box in the shrink, but I should just cut this off and keep it in there with the records. I still have the tag from when it was gift wrapped too, but I'm guessing nobody really needs to see that? 






No comments:

Post a Comment