Wednesday 3 September 2014

Suns and Big Love(rs)

Okay, before I talk about some more Cursed stuff I will have a quick chat about the first vinyl release from Nothing. In fact, this was the first Nothing release I owned on vinyl. There were still copies on the Big Love Records bigcartel not too long back, but they have now sold out. 


Suns and Lovers by Nothing. Released in 2011 through Big Love Records in Japan. This was pressed in disastrously small numbers. At the time it was probably plenty, but now this band are getting a decent amount of hype. Only one press to date: White /100 // Black /200. 


Back cover / B-Side. Look at that run off groove. Massive. The text consists of: track-listing, label name and the web address for the band. The more I look at the Nothing logo, the more I love it. It's up there with the Cold Cave logo, and was designed by Dan O apparently. 


Insert. Single sheet, double sided. This is the only bit of colour on the LP or packaging. 


Second side of the insert. The title track on this release is incredible; the chorus melody is absolutely perfect. It sounds a little removed from newer Nothing releases, but it is just as important. 
A couple of things to note: Domenic Palermo and Brandon Setta are the only musicians credited here that are still in the Nothing lineup. 
The B-Side was produced and engineered at Hospital Productions by Wes Eisold and Kris Lapke and is a re-edit of Last Day in Bouville (a track that originally appeared on the Poshlost demo). 
Nothing gave half of their share of records back to the label in aid of the Japanese Relief Fund. 
The text on the insert is as follows: lyrics, recording credits, lineup personnel and thanks. 


Although the album was mail ordered, it still came in a Big Love bag with a business card which was pretty cool. I've stored it in the bag on my shelf. 
I also have the Downward Years to Come re-press on it's way. I'll probably have something to say about that. Guilty of Everything is just the standard black variant, as great an album as it is, I am sure there are posts out there of way interesting variants than mine. I should have grabbed the deluxe 1st press. We live and learn I guess. 
Aside from that, I'm still after the Poshlost // Suns and Lovers // Guilty of Everything cassette tapes. Lame.





No comments:

Post a Comment