Friday 12 September 2014

Ouija Board

Two things made me come to this post. I recently talked about Get Into It Records and Algernon Cadwallader on this blog. GIIR have a Ouija Board (poster) up in their store currently, and Algernon sound a little like this band right here. Connection made! 


More Songs by Grown Ups. This is a record that I got either for Christmas or my birthday a couple years back from a friend. I knew nothing about this band at the time other than the artwork was cool and the variant was really great. 


Back Cover // B-Side. The splatter on the B-Side is far more all over the place here, I really dig it. The artwork was somewhat different to anything I expected the music to be; and it absolutely threw me that Big Scary Monsters put it out, as they deal with just about anyone and anything. And why would a band that deal with such dark artwork kick off with a tracked dubbed 'Weed Science'? It made no sense. It was the exact definition of a lucky dip. 


Insert side one: More Ouija action and a long horn skull. Probably the thing that drew me most to the LP prior to hearing it. This photo is really well put together and puts across a really odd feel. I guess if it were on Tumblr it would get all the notes...


Other side of the insert. All the lyrics / personnel / thank you stuff you would want. However, I would like to see more of the picture in the background. The writing is small and super hard to read, and the photo seems kind of wasted being there with all the text over the top. I would have preferred a booklet or something where the lyrics were printed on their own page. All the art works so well together and this kind of sticks out a little I guess. Never mind, it still works. 

A little about the record. This is from the 1st BSM press, and numbers of this variant range from 250-500 from what I have seen. It was bought for me by a friend who doesn't have an awful lot to do with vinyl, is way more of a CD guy and likes it that way. After finding that this record isn't the easiest of items to find (at the time, Topshelf were between their US pressings and nobody had it in stock), I asked him about it. To which he shrugged and said something buying it off Amazon. I know it's an age old trick now, but it surprises you what lurks on there from time to time. 
Also, take more of a chance on stuff, listen to your friends and don't always stick to what you want to stick to. Life is way more fun that way. 







No comments:

Post a Comment