Thursday 4 September 2014

More Cursed

This is probably the most important piece of my Cursed collection. Certainly the rarest and most valuable. It was also damn cheap, scarily cheap. Scored off eBay earlier in the year, and probably my favourite cheap score. 


Cursed - Two - Goodfellow Records - 1st press - Clear /300. Well it could be, Goodfellow were never great at keeping their Discography numbers up. The most I know is that there is a Black variant /700 and that regardless of variant, this thing is always is demand. There is a bootleg out there, as to date there has never been an official re-press of this. The debut had Thrash Art // Deathwish represses, and Architects of Troubled Sleep had a Euro press through Reflections Records. This album had no such luck besides the boot; Deathwish have had a re-press on the cards for a while, but there are some legal troubles with the financial backers of Goodfellow records.  


Back Cover // B-Side label. The white bars on the centre labels look to be fortune cookie notes. The A-Side is in French, and I don't have a clue what it says.


Close up of the back cover. As you can see, the layout is black /grey on black and kind of difficult to read. Also, my copy has a few scuffs and scrapes on the cover. Not a big deal for me, and it's not anything major, a corner ding or two. Also, on the back cover there is a Q Factor Grant logo which basically means that Canadian tax dollars funded the recording and pressing of this LP. Canadian band, pressed through a Canadian label and paid for by the good folk of Canada. 


Insert. The other side is plain black with no text so I didn't photograph it. The bulk of text is the lyrics, then band personnel, credits and Thank You. It's incredibly hard on the eyes, all of it. I can barely see at the best of times. 
All things told, I love this LP. It's abrasive in a way that no other Cursed material touches on, it just seems a little darker. The untitled track at the end is really odd too, especially the first time you play it and have no clue that it's there.
I had planned to wait on the DW press of this. I have had a CD copy for years, but when this came up on eBay from a UK seller I thought I'd try my luck. I put in a bid that I thought was way under, as it regularly goes for $100+, even for the Black variant. But either people weren't looking, or a UK bidder put them off as it sold for way less than my max bid. I don't even know how a clear copy ended up in the UK but I'm not going to ponder about it too hard, I'm just glad I own it. 
Hopefully DW will run through the re-issues quick as High Anxiety (Chris Colohan's label) // DW plan to release a box set at the end of it all with some cool extras. Not that I want to go down the rabbit hole of Cursed variant collecting, but I definitely wouldn't mind having a couple of copies of each release. Also, I'm a sucker for a good box set. 






No comments:

Post a Comment