Tuesday 16 December 2014

10 Channels

10''s really are the coolest format that you can get a record on right? I mean, 5'' (and other odd small dimensions) are neat, but not too practical. 12''s are probably the more practical of the bunch. But most stuff that fits on a 12'' will accommodate a 10'' press; artwork always looks cooler and they just look nicer on a turntable. For reference, I always grab my 10'' press of The Queen is Dead by the Smiths, as opposed to either of my 12'' copies. Not that I'm writing anything off, and maybe if I had as many 10''s as I had 12''s, the novelty might wear off. But for today it's what I'm going with, so let's get on with it.


Channels - Open - Arctic Rodeo Recordings - 1st Press - Gold // White - /200 


Back Cover // B-Side 

There was two reasons for picking this one to talk about today. Channels is another brainchild of J. Robbins; and more importantly this release is incredible well put together. Not that it's over the top fancy or anything, just a nice crisp and lush release. 

For a start, it came in a heavy duty poly-sleeve that fits really snug to the sleeve so it doesn't bounce around much. The sleeve is super thick card, with super crisp cover art. The art was handled by Nick Pimentel, who has done work for Dischord, DeSoto and a couple other cool labels. 


Insert. 


Other Side of the Insert. 

The information is laid out a little quirky here, with a key code up top and all the information at the bottom. I like the idea that this was all recorded by Robbins, with some of it done at home too. I don't see why it took 10 years from it's initial release to finally see a vinyl re-issue. It's cool though, as it's a great job done. 


Finally, the CD. 

I still stand by the fact that I don't mind CD's one bit. They're still kind of handy for day to day use, and I'd much rather see one of these in a sleeve than a download card. 
I would have bought this new, but before I knew what it was really about (the vinyl version I mean) I scammed a copy off eBay for a couple of quid. Can't go wrong there. 











No comments:

Post a Comment