Saturday 13 December 2014

Fadeowax

Few bands have captivated me in the way that Fade have managed to over the last year or so. Doing something a little different, and with a great sound. There's something super appealing about this band and I got caught up in a bad way. 
A couple months back, I posted about the tape release of their demo, that you can find here: 
http://23rotations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/fade-tapes.html

But today I'm here to talk about the vinyl release of the same demo. So let's start:


Fade - Demo - Speedowax - 1st Press - Black /110 

We'll be starting from the most common variant and working our way down. 


Back Cover // B-Side. 

Originally, the most common variant was intended to be white I believe. But black arrived instead and that's just as cool by me. The Interlude has been dropped from the track-listing on the vinyl; probably due to time constraints on a 7''. Out of the 4 songs on offer, it seemed to be the one to drop I guess. A similar deal has happened with their new 7'' coming out in the coming weeks. 


On to the next. 

Fade - Demo - Speedowax - 1st Press - Solid Grey - 15//70


Back Cover // B-Side 

I've just realised there is 8 minutes of playing time on this side. Dang. 
The back cover on this version is completely different to that of the black copies. For a start, there is a different (full colour and larger) Speedowax logo in the top right of the sleeve as opposed to the bottom centre. This sleeve also misses the recording and mastering credits on the back, along with the label designation. The track-listing is separated out differently and laid in the bottom left corner, and in a different font. Oh, and finally the whole sleeve is a different colour with a reversed and zoomed out image. Slightly hard to see here, but I'll shove in a group shot in a second. 


The dust sleeve on this copy came stickered and hand-written by Rich at Speedowax. This came on all pre-ordered copies, and I assume all of the pre-orders came on solid grey. 


Fade - Demo - Speedowax - 1st Press - 'Random Cover' Solid Grey W/ Swirl - 25/25


Back Cover // B-Side 

Again, this cover is completely different. Live Shot instead of the cover design, and the font is the same as the centre label design (that stays the same throughout this press). The Speedowax logo is in the bottom left, with a 'barcode' logo in the bottom right too. The sleeve is a different colour (blue), and the back cover is hand numbered (25/25). I'm not sure if there were any other cover variations, but I hope not as it's another thing to search for! 


The dust-sleeve also came with a little arrow pointing to the swirl in this copy. It is quite easy to miss in all fairness, but I wanted a transition press of this and I'm glad I grabbed one. 


The last copy of this for today is the test press. I got this a while before my other variants, and it came without a sleeve so it's nice to finally have all the elements together. I'm assuming all tests came in a black and white cover.

Fade - Demo - Speedowax - Test Press - Black /10 


Back Cover // B-Side

This is the same sleeve as the standard black variant /110, just in black and white as opposed to colour. The B-Side of the test has a blank centre label, with 'Side A' on the other side. 


Insert. 

All copies (aside from the test) came with this insert. Lyrics, thanks, recording credits, band personnel and a cool live shot. New school Fade logo up top too, as opposed to the font on the cover. 


On the reverse of the insert is a list of all the Speedowax releases thus far. That's a crazy output for such a DIY label, and I hope the list just keeps on growing. 


Money Shot. 

This is everything up to date so far. I may have some info wrong like cover details or pressing info; hopefully Rich will set me straight if I have. It was difficult piecing all of this together, but completely worth it! 
Top Left: Test /10
Top Right: Random Cover 25/25 
Bottom Left: Pre-order 15/70 
Bottom Right: Standard Variant /110. 

Great record, great label, loads of fun stuff for record geeks to get caught up in. What more could you want? 

Cheers!

















No comments:

Post a Comment