Friday 19 December 2014

Put 'Walk Among Us On' And Turn It Up!

Okay so one thing everyone needs to get straight is that Alkaline Trio are one of the best bands out there. It's not even an opinion by this point, just one of those simple facts of life. Another thing that may be up for debate (although I'm fairly sure I'm right here) is that Good Mourning is their best LP. I mean, I can hang with all the entire discography, but Good Mourning just stepped it up. The most consistent lineup's first record, Matt's voice sounds like it's going to give out on every breath and Dan's songwriting really shines through on this one. Complete classic. That I still don't bloody own on vinyl. So instead of talking about that one I'm going to talk about the singles from this incredible LP. 


First up is This Could Be Love. As all of these 7''s were promo only I have no clue how many were pressed. Considering a limited run for Alkaline Trio is at least 1000, I'm assuming that numbers aren't exactly small. 


B-Side 

All of these 7''s come in heavy duty poly-sleeves, and I think all of them are double bagged as the heavy duty sleeves split super easy. No surprise though as this 7'' is ridiculously heavy and I don't really know why. All of the art on these 7''s is also used in the inlay card for the CD version of Good Mourning. 


As this was licensed to the UK, and manufactured in the EU I am assuming that this was a UK exclusive. If there is a US counterpart (like there is with the This Addiction 7'') I would like to know. Although I grabbed all these from separate sellers, they were all UK based. 

For Promotional Use Only. Not For Resale. Good one. 


Here is the sticker from the poly-sleeve. Although the sleeves themselves are nothing too fun to look at, the stickers vary from release to release. 'This Could Be Love' plays on both sides of this 7'', very much a promo item. 


Next up is 'We've Had Enough'. Going through this from a track-listing perspective, although I think this may have been the 1st single. I'm not too sure, I was 10 or 11 when this album dropped. I remember the video to this one freaking me out, and I relentlessly bugged my Uncle to take me to get my nose pierced just like Skiba, ring and all. 


B-Side 

Instead of a double A-Side, here we get a full band demo of 'Blue In The Face'. Although it doesn't quite have the feel that the album version does, it really sounds cool this way too. I think a download version of this was floating around on the Blood Pact forum. 


Again an EU manufactured record. Not sure whether this was UK only or not, and this may make the pressing numbers higher for this one? 


Stickered sleeve. 
Although the record itself does not state that it is a promo only item like TCBL, there is a promo sticker plastered over the bar-code. I know it's silly, but I would like the single edit of this song on a physical format. The song structure is messed with a little with an added chorus on the single version. I was really puzzled on my first LP listen with all the change around! 


To complete this Trio (ha, get it) of Good Mourning singles, we have 'All On Black'. I'm sure I read somewhere that a video was due to be made of this featuring Marilyn Manson, but for some reason or another it never came to be. There were a few radio performances of this, and they played it live on Letterman back in the day. 


B-Side

An acoustic rendition of 'This Could Be Love' takes up the B-Side (wouldn't have this been far better as a B-Side for the TCBL 7'' though?). 


 I'm assuming that with these all being EU 7''s they were possibly UK exclusives? I think the CD had UK bonus tracks too (Old School Reasons and Dead End Road I think) so maybe it was just part of a promo package that was happening over here at the time? Either way I'm cool with it. 


Another stickered sleeve. Another promo sticker over the bar-code. The layout changes over these stickers a fair bit and that's cool I guess? 


Finally there is a group shot going on. 
The whole black and red theme that this album had was super neat, and although no one seems to like Picture Discs I really don't have a problem with them. Now if I could track down a copy of the LP, I'd be a bit more enthusiastic about my fairly mediocre Alkaline Trio collection. 

Cheers!














No comments:

Post a Comment