Tuesday 23 December 2014

Hell Yes!

A trio of Trio posts? Why not! Thankfully, this one is a short one, and probably the last Trio post in a little while. This is probably the penultimate post for this side of Christmas too, the next one is a long one though. Without much more rambling though, on we go: 


Alkaline Trio - Hell Yes - Lookout! Records - 1st Press - Black /? 

I can safely assume at least a few thousand of these were pressed. I chose to write about this, as this is probably my favourite Alkaline Trio cover art. Another reason is this is probably the last 'indie' single that came out before From Here to Infirmary exploded; it's a neat little snapshot into a band that were about to transition. Not in terms of sound, but a wider audience. 
The centre label art with the Heartskull on the coffin is super neat, and the general art and layout is really nice here. The colours are super vivid, and almost clash. In my mind, this art and layout sticks out as a classic single, and I think my collection would feel a lot less complete without it. It's the essential Alk3 7'' (I'm most likely only saying that as I don't yet own Sundials or For Your Lungs Only). 


Back Cover // B-Side

Classic Lookout! logo in the bottom left, Heartskull in the bottom right. Two Heartskull coffins on the centre label. One song sang by Matt, one song by Dan. Both absolutely incredible songs, and both a little different from one another. There's not a lot you can say about this record that you can't already see here for yourself and that's probably a large reason for being so into it. No barcode and a label address. Just the way it should be. 


Finally, one last look at this artwork. 
My copy has some ring wear and a few scuffs, but I love it all the same. I think the art was used as a backdrop for the Goddamnit Redux tour. The whole cemetery theme going on here, and the lyrical content is what encapsulates my love for this band. I wish I could extract the feeling I get from this cover art, and let someone have that feeling for just a minute; this post might make a little more sense that way.
On the upside too I assume that you can still pick this up reasonably cheap?


No comments:

Post a Comment