Monday 29 December 2014

The Distance Between Bodies Can't Be Measured In Miles

I'm back! Hope you all had a good Christmas. Over the next few days I'll be posting some records I got for Christmas, and maybe if I have time I'll do a quick top 5 LP's and EP's of the year before the new year is out. I got some great records for Christmas, so I'll try and move through posts at a semi decent pace. 


The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - Between Bodies - Black Lake Records - 1st Press - Mystery Splatter /200 

This is an interesting one, and a true Marmite kind of deal for Wr fans. This is an EP from TWIABP featuring Chris Zizzamia who is known for spoken word performances, and that's exactly what is offered on this record. Although David F. Bello is handling all the vocal duties on recording, they are intertwined with these spoken word pieces from Chris that flow in and out of the songs. For an idea of what I'm getting at here, either find a stream of this or check out the Audiotree session the band did with Chris; I'm pretty sure it's on YouTube. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Fairly sparse black and white layout that really gives way to how cool the variant itself is. As these came in as a mystery splatter, anything could happen colour wise. Most that I have seen follow this kind of colour scheme, which is a red/ blue and yellow splatter. This is probably the nicest splatter record I own, and the only one I have seen that is cooler is the rainbow splatter variant of I Bet On Sky by Dinosaur Jr. That is an incredible looking record. 


As with all TWIABP releases, they have the same pattern for the centre label. The only thing that changes is the speed setting and label designation. Nothing too important I guess, but I do like sticking to a particular style on these things. 


Instead of an insert, with Between Bodies there is an A2 poster designed by Ben Sears. Ben has done some incredible work for just about every great US label out there now, and has worked with a ton of amazing bands. The Swellers, Touche Amore, Title Fight and Lemuria are just a select few from a long list. This design kind of carries on the theme of the cover and retains the black and white of the sleeve art. If you like the design but the band aren't your deal; you can grab this poster from Black Lake for cheap too. 


Close up of the credits on the poster. All in all there were 10 musicians on this record. That's more musicians than there are songs. I'm sure 10 people played on the last TWIABP LP too. After that there is recording and mastering credits; artwork credits and a dedication to Carly Thomsen. 

'We Came From The Salt, We Shall Return To The Salt'

Black Lake handled the UK/ Euro Press of this record, Broken World handled the US Press. Both had some amazing colourways available and it sounds pretty incredible too. 

As a quick parting note. I saw a CD copy of this in a HMV in Sheffield. It's pretty cool to think that a band like this are getting that kind of exposure. It's a real shame it was under 'B' for Between Bodies instead of the band name. I'm sure the employee just couldn't do with the hassle of trying to fit 'The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die' on one of those little header boards. 







No comments:

Post a Comment