Sunday 9 November 2014

Black Friday Luck

2013-2014 has been a busy period for Sorority Noise. 
A demo, a Live Split cassette, a debut LP, two split 7''s and a digital 2-track release. Oh, and losing half your members, shrugging it off and carrying on. So that's how a band stays productive. 
Let's start from the beginning though (I told you there would be more Broken World Media posts). 


Sorority Noise - Young Luck - Broken World Media - 2nd Press - Black Shell /50 (Black Friday Edition) 

These 4 songs are incredible, and I wouldn't like them to be available on any other format than tape. It sounds like a tape release; and the artwork suits the format. By the time I even got a physical copy I had listened to this so much anyway; as it seemed really reminiscent of the way I like to write songs. It completely sounds like it was done with a heap full of heart and little time, and most music definitely benefits from that. 


Back Cover - B//Side. The B-Side of the tape is blank and all the songs play on the A-Side on my copy, I'm not sure if there are any difference between pressings as these may have been done by a plant or in-house? The B-Side of the tape doesn't have a stickered inlay either, which is cool by me. 

Onto the J-Card. The track-listing is on the back (well most of it; the full name for track 4 is unnecessarily long) alongside a BWM logo. Sometimes the logo changes to involve the words 'Broken World', sometimes it's blank. 


Insert: At this point there was only 3 members, and now there is only 2 so there's that. Most of these songs got re-recorded for their full length and I have a major gripe about this on 3 levels: 
  1. These songs were great in their own right and did not need any polishing or re-recording as they held their place quite well. I honestly don't listen to the re-recorded versions as this is where it's at and these songs work great together.
  2. It kind of feels like you're getting cheated out of a full length record when you only have 9 songs to start with, 3 are from here and 1 is from a digital release. You're really only getting 5 new songs. 
  3. Track 4 on this release (A Brief Dissertation on a Night Spent Talking in a Boston Accent) is a great song and was the only one left not re-recorded. It's a great song so what's the deal with that? 
The insert contains lyrics and the BWM release designation. I don't think there is anything in the way of release credits or thank you's here. 


Spine View. 

My lady picked this up for me last year whilst she was away in America visiting family. Honestly, she can live there for me as it really cut down on shipping costs and I bought a ton of stuff without worrying over silly postage. Apparently though, 20 records do not pass for hand luggage without more than a few questions being asked. 





No comments:

Post a Comment