Sunday 30 November 2014

Gnarweek(end) Part 4.

OKay, so we've covered the 7''s. I posted about the album not so long back, so now it's only tapes to go I guess? 


Gnarwolves - Fun Club - Brain Ache Record - 1st Press - Green Shell /50


Close up of the cover art. 
This seems to be about as perfect as you can get for a demo tape. It looks like the art on Fun Club, just done with a lot less time and money. All copies of the cassette case were screened by VinoSangre I believe. 


Back Cover // B-Side. Both sides of the shell are pretty identical. I'm not sure if something happened with the printing of this case, and a little of the design came away. Stuff like that doesn't bother me too much, especially on a demo tape. It adds to the gritty feel of this release, and kind of just looks like a shredded skateboard. 


Close up of the back cover. 

If you know that track one is called Party Jams then you won't really have a problem deciphering the rest of the track-listing I guess? 


As you can see from the back cover photo, there is a lip that lifts to open up the packaging. Underneath that panel is this one, with the Brain Ache logo underneath. Maybe I got one towards the end of the production run, and so the print is a little faint. I know this happened with the Downpour//Serial Killer 5'' by Converge. People got real nerdy about that too. 


Here is how the package opens up. Pretty neat, and way more fun than standard library case packaging. 
Turns out it was Mikee who did the packaging, check this URL for a little more about that! 
http://www.vinosangre.co.uk/post/18965330758/gnarwolves-one-colour-white-print-on-black


Insert.

I like this Gnarwolves typeface here, 
Track-listing and short list of thanks. It's about all you need at this point right? It's something different; most tapes involve scanning around the tiny font on a J-Card. Inserts are the way forward for tape I reckon. Get weird with the packaging. 


Finally. Spine view. 

Onward we go. 

Although I'd already bought Cru on vinyl, I couldn't pass up the cassette version too when it started lurking around. 


Gnarwolves - Cru - Cats?Aye! Records - 1st Press - Green Shells /100. 

I think a big selling point for me on this was that both the tapes were green, and it kind of completed a set. The artwork for the tape is the same from the 7''; which sounds cool in theory, but shaking up a square design to fit a cassette J-Card was always going to make the design look a little off kilter right? 


Back Cover // B-Side. 

I like that although the cassette labels were printed, the 'A' and 'B' are still hand-drawn. It still gives a little bit of a DIY aspect to the release. The labels also contain the centre label designs from the vinyl release


Finally. The J-Card. 

The other side is blank, so we can cover it in one photo. 
Going from left to right we have: 
Track-listing. 
Spine view with the C?A! logo on the end. 
Front cover 
Back cover (also with a C?A! logo in the corner). 

I never bought The Chronicles of Gnarnia. I know a lot of people did, but for me there seemed to be little point. I even staved off buying the tape, there was just no need for it. I still contemplate selling off the tape versions of these; as I always play the vinyl over these and the money from this could buy me more records right? I don't know. I wouldn't go out of my way to sell unless I really had to, or really didn't see the point in owning something anymore. 
It's been fun! 
Thanks for sticking with me. 










No comments:

Post a Comment