Friday 14 November 2014

Sea View

When you find out your favourite album of 2012 is getting a re-press, you get pretty excited. When you find out that it isn't just a re-press; but a complete re-issue with a name change, bonus tracks and released through a new label, you start to get really excited. We've all been there, you lurk the web-store furiously and as soon as it goes up you are on it so fast. And then we wait... 


A few weeks later this pops up on my door step. The one on the left; a lot of you probably know all about it. The one on the right - we'll get on to that a little later. 


Warm Thoughts is the new name for Dad Punchers, and 'Mar Vista' is the new name for the Self Titled LP that has had a spangly new re-issue from a great label. 

Warm Thoughs - Mar Vista - Asian Man Records - 1st Press - Clear Blue /500. 

I did a post on the S/T Dad Punchers LP on here if you want some comparison: 
http://23rotations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/dad-punctures.html

Most things have been changed up from the original pressings. New name, new font. The colour of the sleeve is different, the centre labels are different and the Asian Man logo is dotted around here and there. 


Back Cover // B-Side. 
I really do love the colour of this record. This is the first time it has been pressed on a clear colour way. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not to do this, but I think it makes a nice statement. 
For anyone interested, 'Mar Vista' is Spanish for 'Sea View' I believe. It is also a neighbourhood in Los Angeles. Both seem appropriate in a sense for this band / album, so I'm not sure where the reference lies. Either way I'm cool with it.


Close up of the Back Cover. 
Here you can see the A // B Side track-listing. Also, I think that the front and back photos have been edited to be lighter on the re-release. Either that or the darker background colour brings out the photo a little more? 
Here we get on to probably the most important part about this re-issue, the bonus tracks. 3 acoustic re-workings of Dad Punchers songs, and all home recorded (I believe) by Elliot Babin. In most cases this would seem like a cop-out for a re-issue right? Wrong. These songs have been messed with a little; there's new lyrics here and there, new instrumentation and even structure changes. I adore album closer 'Rivets', a re-working of 'Tire Swing'. The album closes where it begins, and still manages to feel like a completely different song. 


Insert. Single sheet double-sided deal; and this is done in favour of the printed inner sleeves we have seen previously. This hasn't changed up at all since the Dad Punchers layout, and it really doesn't need to be.


Second side of the insert. 
Not an awful lot has changed here, but there are some changes: 
  1. There is an Asian Man Records logo in the bottom right corner, in the place of the Sssealegs logo. 
  2. There are the extra credits added in the second paragraph for the bonus tracks. Here it states that these were recorded by Elliot Babin. The songs' original titles are: Everything Must Grow // Redwoods // Tire Swing. 
  3. Lastly (well as far as I can see) is the additional thanks tacked on to the end of the original list of thanks. Mike Park (owner of Asian Man) and Bob Vielma (I think he guests on the new Smith Street Band LP, but I may be wrong. Aside from that I have no clue!) 
Now we get on to the fun bit. The mystery bit...


It's a test press. Obviously it was going to be a test press. With the bonus tracks and new label, new plates needed to be made and a new run of tests. I reached out to Sssealegs a bunch of times about getting a 1st press test, but I never got a reply. Thankfully, Mike Park was happy to sell one of these to me, and I was super happy to have one. Seriously one of the nicest guys I have ever done this kind of deal with, and really gives you the time of day. 


B-Side. 
In order to not bend the record or sleeve in transit; this Firestone Brewing Company box was cut up and put in a poly-sleeve for support. Curiously enough though, I like it so I am keeping it in there for the time being. It's a little funny and definitely better than having a record just sat in a poly-sleeve on the shelf. It gives it a little more bulk too. 


Close up of the test press label. These were done at Rainbo Records, and so was the SsseaLegs press. I don't have a test from this plant, so it was something a bit different on both counts. 


Not the easiest thing to photograph but the matrix etching reads 'Dad Punchers - Side A' and 'Dad Punchers - Side B' on the respective sides. I do like that despite the name change, the old name is still sticking in some form or another. Obviously this turns up on the standard variants too. 


The dust cover is numbered 10/10. Nothing too fancy, but a nice touch all the same. 


What is a nice change however, is the Certificate of Authenticity you get with any Asian Man test press. 

Warm Thoughts - Mar Vista - Asian Man Records - Test Press - Black - 10/10

These are numbered, designated and signed by Mike Park. I know some labels used to do this back in the day, but it's not exactly common practice anymore. I really like it though, and it's the only test I own with something like this. To be fair, I don't own that many tests, but this one really is special. 


Finally. Money Shot. 

This was a single colour press, but I can guarantee you that if and when it gets re-pressed I will definitely be snatching up whatever I can. 

This was a bit of a long one. Sorry not sorry. 
I said this last time, no words I ever write will do this record or this band justice. But I'll do my best. Now just to hunt down The Exquisites split re-press and I'll be back up to date with this collection. In the meantime I'll be chasing whatever tests I can too. As always, I'll keep you posted. 















No comments:

Post a Comment