Friday 28 November 2014

Gnarweek(end)

I try and keep up with what's going on with record collecting blogs. The Endless Quest (search it, love it and abandon mine, I get it) has done a Dino Jr. week so I'm going to do something a bit similar, just way less cool (Dinosaur Jr. are the coolest so...)


Gnarwolves - Fun Club - Dog Knights Productions - 1st Press - Black w/ Silver Glitter /100


I mean, I know this wasn't their 1st vinyl release. It's cool though, we'll head on a chronological thing for now, and this was the debut. 

Dog Knights Productions worked super hard on this one, and there were some crazy delays and a little internet bitching. Darren is a solid dude though, and this was the only pre-order I've ever had from him that wasn't around on release day. The first 2x7'' for the label, and limited to 600 units over three colourways. 


On to the gatefold. All of the art for this was handled by London cartoonist Wolf Mask. He may have done the Cru artwork for Gnarwolves too, but I'll double check that one a little later. 


Here's one side of the gatefold. 


Here's the other. Dog Knights have had a couple logos in the past. This has stuck around for a few years now and I think this one is way cooler. I heard a story about a Rot in Hell 7'' being cut and pressed by hand in a shed. I like to think the Doge here is on a similar path. 
Lyrics, thanks, credits etc. 


On to the wax. 
People were griping about how the glitter records (this variant) sounded inferior on their record players. For a start, it's a record with glitter in it. It will sound different to a record without glitter in it, that is obvious. Plus, you can moan all you like but any record is going to sound shite through a Crosley all in one. It's okay though, as the record will last about 4 plays before it gets destroyed by your turntable and that's what you deserve for moaning over nothing. My setup is decent (but definitely no audiophile deal worth thousands or whatever) and I think this record sounds fine, and have bought other glitter records since that have also sounded fine. Previously it was only available on tape. Deal with it.



I don't know how I managed to take a perfectly okay photo on Side A, and not Side B. Nevermind...


7'' number two. I'll talk about that in a second. 


So all the centre labels are different. They use the characters from the sleeve design, which is pretty neat. It's easy to be boring with 2x7''s I guess, but here is a different story. 
So about this other record. Fun Club is pressed on the 1st 7'', and on this is 4 cover versions of cool songs you all know. Covers aren't normally a huge thing for me, but neither is the idea of releasing something on 7'' that was once a cassette without even a sniff of bonus material. So this was a cool thing; sadly though the band super slacked on getting them done apparently. 


Finally, back cover artwork. Here are the other characters you see on the centre labels. Coffin shaped skateboards, who knew. 
By the way, on the covers 7'' there is no cover of Pulling Teeth by Green Day; instead we get Basket Case. I'd rather have heard Pulling Teeth but it's cool. I'm guessing The Boy Who Destroyed the World has some ties to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater too. 

Old release, new artwork, new format, new songs, great label, cool band. According to the DK Bigcartel, 2014 will see a re-press of this too.

There we go, record one. I'll try and get this done in good time. Might even hit post 100 before long. 







No comments:

Post a Comment