Friday 7 November 2014

Getting Over RSD

This year was probably the year that I finally gave up on the idea of Record Store Day. It kind of got big for me in 2010/2011 ish? and by 2013 I thought I was done. Then 2014 did nothing but make these feelings more apparent. I'm still buying RSD stuff now from my local store, at a better price than on release day and without all the queuing up to do which is a bonus. 5AM, 5AM I was up this year to attend this overpriced farse, and the stuff I really wanted can still be grabbed in my local store today for the most part. As an added insult, the only thing I got up early to secure a copy of (I knew there was only one copy of it in-store) was the 'Woman' EP by Dads and that turned out to be a real average record anyway. But today we're not talking about that. 


Sunny Day Real Estate // Circa Survive - Split - Self Released - Burgundy /2400 

There was also a clear copy /100 of this available, and all copies came sealed. The whole 'luck of the draw' deal really appealed to me, and is definitely a fair way of doing things. The only time stuff like that is not fair is when you're a nerd who collects variants. Then it seems like the greatest injustice on the planet. 


Back Cover // B-Side

This is probably a more accurate photo of the actual colour of the record. Matching labels on this record are pretty cool. When I first saw people posting these records on blogs and stuff; I got the idea that people were largely concerned about the Sunny Day side, and were either slating the Circa side or outright admitting they have no intention of playing it. These are some truly dumb fuckers. Unless you know outright that you are going to hate that song, then there is no reason to skip it. Your week is never that busy that you can't spend three minutes on a song that you have already paid good money for. Plus, the cost of a typical RSD 7'' these days means that you really best be getting everything you can from the record. Whilst the SDRE side is what intrigued me, as soon as I was done with that I was flipping over and checking the B-Side out. I still haven't played one side more than the other. 


Finally, the sticker attached to the shrink wrap. I talked about the stickers on a sleeve getting torn and stuff on the newest Pianos Become the Teeth post. This is a classic example of what happens when you try and remove a sticker that doesn't want to be removed. I really wish I wasn't so particular about stuff that really doesn't matter.

Nothing too crazy going on with the packaging here. I do like that the artwork is massively removed from the normal cover art that both bands come out with; it helps the record to stand as it's own a little more. Out of all this years Record Store Day purchases, it is probably the one I have returned to most frequently. The last time I checked too, there is still a copy or two of this in my local store, which is funny as this is still fetching a consistent $25 minimum on eBay. 





No comments:

Post a Comment