Saturday 8 November 2014

The World is a Beautiful Place and I Only Got Half of the Demo

The World is a Beautiful Place and I am no Longer Afraid to Die. Now here is a band that manages to polarise opinion. I don't get why people have such a big problem with them. I still enjoy them and try to keep up with new releases when possible; but everything leading up to the LP will most likely reside as my favourite material from these guys. So lets start where they started; at the demo. 


The World is a Beautiful Place and I am no Longer Afraid to Die - Demo 2010 - Broken World Media - 1st Press - Black Shells w/ White paint flecks /20. 

This release didn't surface until I think the Deer Leap split 12'' had come out. The story behind it was that they had some tapes left over, and this hadn't seen any real physical release. So the plan was to make some up and sell them online. I heard about it, dived in and grabbed one. Super chuffed. 


Back Cover // B-Side. 

However, this particular copy has the entire B-Side missing. The whole side is blank, leaving me with only half of the songs. I shot Derrick from TWIABP an email (he also runs Broken World Media who released this) and told him the deal. He responded apologetically, explaining that they were dubbed in house, and this must have got half finished by mistake. However, all the cassettes were sold by this point and there wasn't any real plan on making more. I don't know if any more were made with only half the tracks, but if not I guess it's a cool little item (albeit fairly useless). I think the other copies came with both sides of the shell sprayed too; a truly blank side. 


Spine view. It does look cool though on the upside. The BWM label pops up on most of these releases and I think the logo is neat. I have a patch somewhere with it on that came free with my 1st order from the label. 


A few weeks after, I got another email from Derrick saying that they had found a few leftover so I was welcome to one to have all the tracks physically. I happily obliged, and grabbed my second copy of this tape. 

The World is a Beautiful Place and I am no Longer Afraid to Die - Demo 2010 - Broken World Media - 1st Press - White Shells w/ Black paint flecks /20.

This makes up the entire press, and as far as I am aware this is the only real press of this made. I'm happy to have both copies, and I'm happy to have all the tracks too. 


Spine View. The flecks are a little sparse here, but they are there. More importantly, it has the music on it too which is what counts. I love these songs too; they're super lo-fi and a great deal of them were re-recorded at better quality for other releases. But there is something about hearing all the imperfections here that make the songs seem way more real, and I return to this and the Formlessness 7'' a great deal still. 


Insert. Both copies have the same insert. Broken World more often than not do include some sort of insert in their cassette releases which is a nice touch. Especially when you consider that the track-listing is not printed anywhere on the J-Card... 


Also, here is the pair of them together. 
This was a fun little post; I might do a couple more TWIABP/ Broken World posts. 





No comments:

Post a Comment