Thursday 13 November 2014

Initially Lukewarm

I didn't really want this album, but dammit I caved and bought it. I thought that I had enough from Dads, so giving the new album a miss for now was the good thing to do. There's already a huge backlog of records I need to get through, and so this wasn't necessary. 


But I saw that someone was selling a limited variant, unplayed and super cheap. About 2 minutes later I had PayPal'd the money over and that was that. 

Dads - I'll Be The Tornado - 6131 Records - 1st Press - 'Galaxy' Black W/ White Splatter /200

The only rarer variant was a bundle only colour. Considering I got this way past pre-order, it was also cheaper than pre-order. See how we do that thing to justify completely going back on our word of not buying something. Yep, we all do it and the words 'it was rare' and 'it was cheap....ish' always dangle about in there. 


Back Cover // B-Side. Track-listing, 6131 logo. All the good stuff. I'm sure 'Pretty Good' also came out on 6131, and that's in it's 4th Pressing by now I think? It's cool to see such a great label doing well. Also, as the same with Touche Amore's 'To the Beat of a Dead Horse' (also from 6131, crazy) the colours of this record seem to have some tie to the elements or the earth. Nothing too noteworthy, but it is a nice tidbit. 


Close up of the record, mainly to have a gander at the centre label. I like this as it matches the colourway and the artwork nicely. Everything seems to thematically work quite nicely here, and I do love it when a plan comes together. 
More interestingly (well, depending on your idea of interesting) there is a large chunk in the top left of the LP, where there seems to be little or no splatter at all. The same goes for the B-Side of the record. 


On to the insert. Single sheet, double sided deal that I'm always a fan of. The 1st side of the insert houses (nearly) all of the lyrics and not much else. 


The other side of the insert has the remainder of the lyrics. The photo from the insert was taken by John Bradley who plays drums and sings in the band. I'm sure the cover photo was taken by someone else. I do like the art here, it's pretty simple and the art for American Radass was stooooopid. 


As an added bonus, the extra cherry on top (or convincer) was that I got a hand in on the free flexi too. This includes the track 'Do You Still Think of Me?' that was from the album sessions so I've been told. These were given out at pre-order and were limited /1000, all on white and sold only through 6131 associated pre-order. Again, this suits the colourway of the LP and the album art so it's all good. And the centre labels match, such a fan! 


And this is everything together. 
Initially I wasn't too in to this record, I thought it was a little too far from the American Radass, and nowhere near as frenetic or personal. However, I spent a few nights falling asleep to this album and it just clicked. It's probably not an AOTY type contender, but I am happily surprised at this. Definitely glad I caved and spent money I probably shouldn't have.








No comments:

Post a Comment