Friday 22 May 2015

Cut My Brain Into Hemispheres

The amount of great records coming out this year is honestly baffling me, and I often find myself a few weeks behind new releases, desperately playing catch up. Here is a perfect example, and as a result I had to settle on the most common variant from the 1st press which isn't a problem as it looks great anyway! 


Turnover - Peripheral Vision - Run For Cover - 1st Press - Milky Clear // Sea Blue /1500 

Visually, this record is stunning. Due to the grainy imagery throughout the sleeve design, it's pretty hard to do the art and layout any justice but trust me, it's some of my favourite album art this year. The variant is great too, and the halves of the record haze into one another which works with the whole sound of the record too. Completely irrelevant probably, but a nice touch all the same. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

The 'Live Alligators' sign on the back cover is interesting and I wish I knew a little more about it. All of the photography looks like it lands in the '60's or 70's. The photography is also not credited in the liner notes, only the layout. 


Insert 

More 'of the era' photography and lyrics for the first 5 tracks of the record. The imagery and handwritten text across the album fit in great with this record. Most people listening to this will give you the whole 'it's so dreamy' spiel when trying to give a sonic description. To me, it sounds humid and it's the only way I can get my point across. It's like one of those days where it's too hot to do anything, so you just lay on your bed with the curtains closed and the windows open. This record sounds pretty close to that feeling, in the best way possible and for me at least, the art is representative of that. 


Lyrics and Credits. 

The credits here are pretty short, with no thanks. At this point it looks like space is running a little thin anyway, and lyrics are a far better use of space for a lyric sheet right? 


Stickered Sleeve 

I love a good sticker on a sleeve, and this shiny little dude looks perfect. More importantly it guarantees a polysleeve with my record! 


If I keep up my current love for this record, it's definitely got a space in my AOTY list. The growth from release to release with this band is beautiful to see. 

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment