Saturday 23 May 2015

Someone's Going To Get Burned

Wow it's been a little while since I have done a post on Cursed. There's a little bit of a back story here, so bare with me as it's probably not too interesting. 

Cursed II goes up for pre-order on Deathwish after months of two-ing (funny pun) and fro-ing. II has been bootlegged (much to the approval and amusement of Colohan) and getting a legal copy of this out was a huge hassle due to the financial backers from Goodfellow records way back in the day. The original press of this was not sufficient for demand right from the start and has only become more sought after. Anyway, I told myself that I didn't need this record, even though I was right there at the time of pre-order. The reason I didn't need it is because I have the original press on clear that you can read all about here: 
http://23rotations.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/more-cursed.html 

Not too long after I got complete regret over the whole ordeal, and that most limited variant got me all gooey inside as it looks incredible. So I did the whole eBay lurk, decided that paying through the teeth was stupid and hit up the 'notify when back in stock' button on the Deathwish store and held out a little hope. 


Cursed - II - Deathwish Inc. - 1st Press - Clear w/ Multi Splatter /315

After a bit of luck, and a good few weeks of being held in customs (no charge though so that's lit) this finally turned up. It's got a corner ding or two, but Deathwish are solid dudes and how this travelled isn't in their hands; it was packed well so must've had a pretty rough ride. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

Deathwish are incredible with the re-issue treatment (I can't wait to see what happens to Mercy by PMFS), and there isn't a lot of similarity in the two GFR and DW pressings. New front and back art, new variants and updated centre labels; all without even looking inside the gatefold (another difference!). 


Printed inner sleeve, made of sturdy thick card which looks great. This side contains all the lyrics and it's really easy on the eyes. Reading through all these lyrics, you see how explosive Cursed were, and probably pissed a lot of people off in the process! 


Live shot on the other side of the inner sleeve. Black and White imagery fills this record, and it really sums up the songs here. Not a lot gets lost in metaphor here, it's pretty in your face. 


Inside the gatefold

A few words from CC on the recording of the LP, the lyrical content of some of the songs here. Also, it adds more mystery to the story of Cursed. There is a popular opinion that a band has to be shrouded in mystery to be truly legendary, and this band really have that feel for me. They just imploded overnight, and even now very few words are spoken on the matter. 


This is the top image from the gatefold, I can only assume that it's from an old horror film. Deathwish also put this up on a shirt at Pre-order stage, along with some other great designs.


Finally, this record came with a huge fold out poster of Vincent Price. It would look great in a frame, but you know; parting a poster from the sleeve is something I just don't have in me. 

Deathwish did a great job here, and I'm glad I got a second chance here. Not only because it looks great, but because it sounds monstrous. I can't leave this record alone, and let's hope Cursed III doesn't have the time gap like this one did. 










No comments:

Post a Comment