Saturday 16 May 2015

Salem

Well wasn't this a pain in the arse to find! Honestly, I thought I could add this to Deja for a record from RSD that I would never find. I thought I'd grabbed a second chance when Banquet got copies in, but by the time I got to the online store it was all said and done. I didn't have any idea this record would be in such demand. 


Every Time I Die - Salem - Epitaph Records - 1st Press - Brown / Red / Clear Swirl /1000 (RSD '15) 

This record collects four unreleased tracks from the 'From Parts Unknown' sessions at God City, including a cover of Tourette's by Nirvana to kick the whole thing off. I had some expectation from this 7'', as From Parts Unknown quickly climbed it's way to being one of the most listened to records of last year for me. Honestly that album could be the best ETID material to date, it's really that damn good! This 7'' delivers everything I hoped it would, and these songs would have fit right in alongside any of those album tracks. 

The cover here is super similar to the LP, down to the font and creepy lazer eyes. The centre label from the A-Side takes a marginally less edited version of the cover art for a nice comparison. 


The variant is super nice, and was pressed at United Record Pressing much the same as the Pianos Become the Teeth 7'' which also landed as an Epitaph RSD 7''. The down side of that is the record itself is a little less sturdy than some might like. But again, it sounds fine to me and I don't have the ears to be that fussed by audiophile quality most of the time anyway. 

Finally, a little story on how I ended up with this. A dude was selling on a Pop Punk UK Trade group on Facebook. I'm a big fan of this group as it allows me an insight into the kind of pizza scoffing, high fiving, stage diving dickbag behavior kids get up to these days (and honestly I'm no older than a decent majority of the kids on there). But occasionally it has it's come ups as this came pretty cheap and within a reasonable time frame. On a low note it was shipped in an envelope as opposed to a mailer, and has now suffered a few corner dings. Still beats the $40+ Discogs price tag I guess, and that's before we begin to even look at the 'bay. 

A couple more RSD wants to go, mainly that Nevermind comp but I might just cave and get the standard press. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment