Tuesday 19 May 2015

Lost Tapes About The Weather

Recently I've been making an effort to get my collection all in one place. Some of my records are at my house, and due to space some have been left behind my Mother's. Making the slow process of converting the attic to accommodate room for everything, I have started moving all my records into one place and this has me discovering a few things here and there that I had completely forgotten about. One of those forgotten gems is what I'll be chatting about today. 


Basement - Songs About The Weather - Lost Tape Collective - 1st Press - Black /300 

Although City of Gold pressed this in the UK, LTC picked it up a year or so later and provided a small US release as Basement were starting to get a fair amount of buzz overseas. No surprise that Run For Cover picked up this band not too long after. Lost Tape Collective also put out a super limited tape of this too, but I never ended up grabbing that. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

This record has a very DIY feel to it. All on Black, photocopied covers and inserts, one press and a small run. I like this approach to releasing records, especially when you know Basement will never get that kind of treatment again. 

The record is a little confusing. Apparently most of these records had a stamp on the B-Side but a few came with handwritten labels. I have never seen another copy of this so I don't know what the ratio is, or if any were stamped at all. Either way, it just adds to the aesthetic of this release. 


Insert 

Lyrics and contact. Back when bands left their contact email on releases and had Myspace pages! 

For anyone who likes this band but doesn't have this, it pretty much sounds like Basement but a little more early Title Fight worship in there too. There's definitely growth between this and IWICSH, but there's a certain charm to these songs that I like a lot. 
The only downside between this and the City of Gold press, is the high resolution covers of the CoG pressings look a lot nicer. Considering this is my favourite art from this band, it would've been nice to have it looking a little sharper. No complaints though, this record is great and it's been on my table a decent amount over the last few days. 

If anyone has a copy of the '2 Songs' tape they don't mind parting ways with, please let me know! 

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment