Tuesday 26 May 2015

Givin' It Live

Another quick minute, another Give record. This band have been taking up a decent chunk of my listening hours since some time last year, and since I caught on way later than I should have I've been playing catch up ever since! 

Live records aren't a thing that I normally get too worked up over; I can live with or without them in most cases. However, since all previous Give 7''s were collected on the 'Singles Going Confetti' compilation I thought I'd have to grab this first. When ordering Cursed II, I quickly nabbed this and added it to my cart before checkout. Deathwish have a mad underrated distro by the way, more and more I'm finding some utter gems in there. 


Give - I Am Live - Photobooth Records - 1st Press - Black /200 (Standard Cover)

Photobooth have since put out a 2nd press of this, limited to 45 which is mad. I didn't even know about it until it had long gone. It's a good job I'm not on the variant game with this band. Between all the variants, limited covers and scarce represses it would be a crazy move to start this late in the game. Watch this space mind. 


Back Cover // B-Side 

The layout for this record follows pretty much all the other Give 7''s, with particular reference to the large centre holes that you need a 45 adapter for (unless you want to completely fuck your records). Another cool hit with this from a design perspective is how the gig flyers are merged into the centre labels and the whole thing stays within a black and yellow theme. 

The text is largely based around what was recorded when, and the lineup at the time. The lineup for this band seems to change fairly regularly, with many 'fill in' musicians gracing the limited covers of various 7'' presses. 
These songs were also taken from a scarcely seen 'Live at Asefu's' comp tape. This cassette was released through Crush Records and the other contributing bands were: Clear // Disengage // Free Spirit. No wonder you never see it about! 


Finally this is the insert from the 7''. It's a fantastic piece of art (I think it recently won an award?) advertising the Flowerheads. I believe that is some kind of fanclub for the band, where you send a postcard or letter to the address noted down and possibly get some free stuff in return (it asks for your shirt size?). I'm not sure it would apply to the UK, but it definitely sounds like a great idea! 







No comments:

Post a Comment