Sunday 12 October 2014

C(S/T)VT

Okay so this is probably one of the most impressive 7''s I have. It's not particularly rare, it's not particularly anything too forward thinking, but there's just enough in there to make me completely love it. I bought this a while ago, and it is when I started paying attention to how great Run For Cover Records were with the presentation of their releases.


This is the S/T record from CSTVT, that followed their 2nd full length LP 'The Echo and the Light' that came out on Tiny Engines. This also followed the name change from Castevet to CSTVT. 

CSTVT - S/T - Run For Cover Records - 1st Press - Clear /400. 
There was also a Grey /100 that I would be after, but Discogs have it up at crazy prices, as is the /50 tour cover. Maybe one day. 

First things first (and I'll get on to the other stuff later) is that the record is housed in a heavyweight poly sleeve. Not too sure why, but it does stand out to me. 


I've done something a little off here. This is the cover of the record, but I accidentally photographed the B-Side. It's not a problem, and I thought until recently that the printed side was the A-Side. I checked the RFC site and I am apparently wrong! Funnily enough though, a few of these were messed up at the plant, and the screen print ended up on the same side as the grooves, leaving one side totally blank. I'm not sure how many were made, but I would definitely rather take a functional copy over a quirky anomaly. 
The half fold cover is also funny screen printed, and with a great design both inside and outside the fold. It's easy to see why I dig this so much right? 


Back Cover // A-Side (whoops). I do like any record that comes without a centre label. It makes the record look a little more DIY, and it makes room for this lovely screen print. 
Both tracks on this 7'' are absolutely incredible, and are up there with my favourite material from this band. On the half fold is the classic RFC 'Hand' logo, which is now replaced with the newer 'All Seeing Eye / Triangle' logo. I think stuff like this is great, as it allows you to almost create a timeline of a label without looking too far into the catalogue numbers.
RFC - 032


Finally is the inside of the half fold. On the left panel is the lyrics for both songs. On the right panel is: band personnel, recording / mastering / art / printing credits and thanks. Also, Evan Weiss (of Into It // Over It fame) offered up backing vocals on this recording which is pretty cool. I love that the band also offered up their Myspace Page here, damn. 

So, fully screened artwork, screened record and a fairly small run (500 made up the 1st and only press). This is truly a special release, and when I bought it, it definitely made an impression on me. It still does. I still spin this 7'' regularly, and I get that same feeling every time. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment