Friday 3 October 2014

Radio 1 Vol 2

I got my copies of the new live Touche Amore 7'' in the post earlier in the week. Obviously I think that it is great. There's nothing new going on essentially but BBC sessions are always cool, and the sound on this recording is incredible. The 1st volume of the TA BBC Live Sessions were a bit too trebly in places and is a little harsh to listen to at high volumes, and the snare sounded a little off. Sonically there are some real improvements this time around. That could be the band, could be the engineer at Radio 1, could be whoever mastered it. I'm not too sure, and don't care a great deal, I'm just happy that this sounds so good.


But less about the music and more about the records. 3 variants were available to buy as the 1st press, with the additional clear colour that will (presumably) be set aside for another box set. The layout and packaging is very similar to the 1st volume of live at BBC, and I'll try and squeeze in a post about that at the weekend? 

So the pressing info run down is:


Transparent Purple /330.
Photographing this on top of the dust cover just makes it look black; it's far more interesting with a little sun on it.


Opaque Blue /770.


White /4200.

If you look for it, the A/B labels are identified by the 'A' in TA being coloured in solid white, and the second 'B' in BBC. It's a pretty cool little detail, and I guess having an in house graphic designer is a real help with things like this. Having a Deathwish logo up top on the label, and a BBC logo at the bottom is still so weird. I'm happy that this band are getting to do things that really project their talent. Tre might even let them get away with a 10''. Maybe. 


On to the packaging. It's easier to photograph these as two separate entities, as the packaging is quite intricate and is definitely worth a talk. The logos on the black panels are the Asterisk (left side) and the font type from the Pianos Become the Teeth (right side). The tracklisting is also on the cover, which is a little odd but I'm into it. 


Back cover. All the turn up jeans a boy could hope for. The colour scheme is simple and effective, and makes a nice differentiation from the similarities between volume 1 and 2. 


The front and back cover fold out under the bottom seam and this allows the black panels to be folded out make space for some extra art. 


This is the inside photo when the jacket is fully folded out. I think the photograph is upside down from the font, and so looks a little off kilter. The photograph is a bunch of leads, gear and flight cases laid across a floor. I think there is a Deathwish sticker on Elliot's snare case, which isn't surprising at all. 

I really should have done a post on Vol. 1 first. Oh well, I'm sure it will work just as well backwards. I like that the first 4 TA 7''s came out, then a BBC session as number 5 to kick off the next boxset. Now this 7'' is number 9 and will kick off another series of 4 7''s. I hope that was intentional. But that aside, I really want to hear this Self Defense Family split? It's been over a year since Is Survived By, and that means over a year since I have heard a new TA song. I'm excited as balls. 










No comments:

Post a Comment