Friday 17 October 2014

Pianos Beercome the Teeth

Pianos Become the Teeth are a band that I have loved since I first heard them. I'll happily pick up a record by this band without streaming anything first. Yes I know they've gone soft; still think it's going to be a great LP. Whilst I don't actively seek out variants from this band, I probably have a couple colours of each release. Well, except this one as it was only pressed on one colour. 


Pianos Become the Teeth // Ezra Joyce - Split - Bear Records - 1st Press - Beer /500

I mean, how has this never had a repress? Whilst I'm here, why has Saltwater never seen a vinyl press? Why has the re-recording of Houses We Die In never seen a physical release? So many questions. The cover art here is quite odd, and we'll get into it in a little more depth somewhere down the road. 


Back Cover // B-Side. As you can see, both centre labels are blank on this record. I'm not sure if test presses were made for this release. I would hope so, giving that the PBTT side is really long and could sound super sketchy. But the plain labels are normally reserved for low budget releases that haven't been test approved. I'm not sure, I like the colour and I would rather have plain labels than dodgy, cheap printed ones. 


Here is the artwork in full. The art folds in half, and kind of works in both halves separately. Danielle Yurchinkonis did the cover illustration, and also handled shared art and design work on Pianos Become the Teeth's 'Old Pride' LP, which still stands as some of my favourite cover art. 


This is the inside of the sleeve, which kind of doubles as the insert. There was no insert (or dust cover...) with this 7'', but the sleeve is double printed and you get all the information you need to know here. Looking at the PBTT line-up, it could be possible that Kyle is the only original member left now? This was released in 2008. Damn, that seems like so long ago! 

So is this the best PBTT material you will ever hear? Unless you have very peculiar taste, I can nearly guarantee you this is at the weaker spectrum of their recorded output. However, it's pretty hard to come by nowadays and it's definitely a cool record. Being honest, I listened to the Ezra Joyce side once; it didn't grab me and I never went back. I picked this up about 3 or so years ago, directly from the Bear Records store. Now it's long out of print and I would imagine Discogs to be your best bet if you happen to be after one?




No comments:

Post a Comment