Sunday 5 October 2014

Self Defense Familive

I've gone through a couple of live releases this weekend, so I though I would carry the trend a little further and hit one of my favourite live releases. It's something different, packaged incredibly well, and the sound is top notch. 


This is Self Defense Family - Live From Krazy Fest 5/20/2011 (or 20/5/2011). This was recorded by Chris Avis of Cavis Tapes fame. The dude has a long history of live audio and it's a really great recording. Do a little Youtube lurk and the visual accompaniment should be there too. 


A Side // Cover. This is from the 1st press and all of this press came on clear shells /250. There is now a 2nd press /300 available with purple shells, purple text (as opposed to the blue) and a simplified layout, but we will get to that later. 


B-Side // Back Cover. This came out on Head 2 Wall Records. Most of the tracks here are live renditions from the LP (released under the name End of a Year - same band different name etc.) 'You Are Beneath Me', along with tracks from the 'Fires' split 7'' and the 'Jamaica' 7'' in the Island Series. This was released at a time when the name change was pretty new, and is one of the most varied sets you'll here now. Aside from 'I'm Going Through Some Shit', most of these tracks don't get played live an awful lot nowadays.  


Spine view. The mechanism in the shell is quite weird looking, and the print on the shells is super clear. 


On to the layout. Now, I haven't seen the re-press as I don't mess around with SDF variant too much, so I can't say the 2nd press definitely doesn't have this. But, with a 'simplified layout' I guess that means that this is the thing that sets them apart... The cover comes apart in two sections. Pretty neat heh? 


Inside of the J-Card. The text runs down: where the gig was played; the members on the recording (revolving lineup etc.etc.) mastering credits, and SDF appears courtesy of Deathwish inc. Also, another Head 2 Wall logo on the back panel. The other printed insert also comes out of the J-Card. 


Download code (still unused) and a sampler card that came with the order. If it's one of my favourite live recordings, I should really download this right? 


Also, a quick bit of history on this release. For some reason or another, the release was delayed. With all the separate elements i'm not surprised. Plus, I don't get too fussy, pre-orders can be months ahead of release day, and anything can throw a spanner in the works and slow things down. 

But, the dudes over at Head 2 Wall felt bad and made this bade and patch set for the 1st 100 pre-orders. Well, the patch is definitely /100, I'm not too sure on the badges? 


First up is the badges. Sorry for the bad photo, the focus was a little off whenever I got close to them. On the left is a section of the cover art used. On the right is the Mothman. If you don't know about the Mothman, check out the SDF Tumblr page and scroll back a long way. Dudes get super weird over this myth, and there's also a documentary or two kicking around about it. 


Finally, the patch. Obviously a Crass rip, and I love it. I think Patrick (SDF Vocalist) is quite into select parts of the Crass discography, so it's all with good intention I think? It will never go on a jacket, as I'm an obsessive hoarder and like things to be pristine and no fun for anyone. 
There we go, great release and I listen to this more than quite a few of the 7''s. I'm still missing a couple of them too, someone please sell me the Fire Team Charlie and Adorno splits? Probably never seeing (CD obv) Disappear Here or Warm though. Or that Driftwood comp tape. Damn, so many gaps to fill. 

Thanks for reading! 







No comments:

Post a Comment